1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New John McLaughlin album: 'Industrial Zen'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Apr 16, 2006.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Not out for a few weeks yet, but I thought I'd start this thread now because AbstractLogix has just put up sound samples:
    http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php?productid=21320

John's been pretty much focused on Shakti for the last few years, so it's good to hear him revisiting some fusion.

The bassists on the album are Matthew Garrison, Tony Grey and Hadrien Feraud.

[I'm not connected to Abstractlogix in any way. Just a fan of Johnny Mac. :) )

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wish McLaughlin would do some more stuff with Jonas Hellborg!

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Strange, I'm a massive fan of both McLaughlin and Hellborg, but that '80s Mahavishnu lineup and the series of duet concerts they did have never done anything for me.

As far as them working together again, never say never. Jonas talks about his '80s work with John here: http://www.abstractlogix.com/interview_view.php?idno=69 He's been pretty blunt over the years about what he thinks of John's decision to resurrect the Mahavishnu and Shakti brand names, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The album came out today in the UK. (Think it came out in the States a couple of weeks back.)

Definitely one of McLaughlin's best recordings of recent years. It incorporates many of the musical ideas John has touched on his career - muscular jazz-rock fusion, free improv, Indian carnatic music, and electronica.

The last track in particular, is a real highlight.

Newcomer Feraud is definitely a talent to watch.

5. I liked what I heard. Garrison and Grey are two of my favorite current players.

6. This album is wicked - I've been lucky enough to have it on preview copy for about a month already and I've been playing it loads - the best track is called Dear Dalai Lama which has an amazing three way battle between McL, Dennis Chambers and Zakir Hussain - it literally rocks. All the bass work is top notch.

M

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Zakir Hussain...he was on kai Eckhart's "Honour simplicty, Respect the flow" album.

I'm looking forward to picking this up, I've listened to the clips and it's sounding pretty ace!

8. It's particularly good to hear Dennis and Zakir together - I'm a big fan of both of them - I think this is the first time they've played together on record. My one slight complaint is that Tony Grey's bass is a bit quiet in the mix on the two tunes he plays on - but overall it's a really good fusion album.

M

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I feel the same way! I'm a HUGE fan of both artist, but my least favorite work they did are the ones they did together.
    Kinda the way I felt about the Jeff Berlin/ David Fiucznski project.:ninja:

10. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    My name happens to be John McLaughlin.

Except I'm 16, and I don't play guitar.

11. Zakir is pals with my dad. Are you a Jaco or Tony Williams fan (this is related)

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I guess that most people who click on this thread will also be fans of Jaco and Tony.

I know that John is currently mixing the complete Trio of Doom recordings (the Havana Jam performance, plus some NYC studio material), for release by Columbia Legacy later this year.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, yes I am.

Who isn't?

(apart from those guys who make the fortnightly "I don't really love Jaco all that much and I just thought I'd offer that up to you guys" threads ;) )

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The below video is from the Crossroads Guitar Festival - a trio of JM, Zakir and Dennis. Mac burning up the fretboard as only he can!

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Guys, this album is already on Rhapsody.

:)

I like it a lot! :D

16. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    cool stuff and yes Matt and Tony are awesome guys but man... why does JM have to have those cheesey '80s synth patches!!!! anywho... definitely a great CD that I'll buy but will still protest the synth patches hehehehehe

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree entirely - I picked it up in July and I really like the first track - the Jaco tribute - great bass playing and the synth patches sound right in this context!

But later on I got annoyed by the programmed beats and the cheesey synth sounds - why couldn't he have stuck to real musicians and more natural sounds...:meh: ?

As it is I like two or three tracks, but can't now listen to the whole album and it is deeply unsatisfying , as it could have been so much better!! :(

18. I have to agree actually - the new Mike Stern album 'Who Let The Cats Out' is a good example of what Bruce is talking about - all pretty much recorded live in the studio - organic keyboard sounds like organ and piano - great tunes - five great bass players on it too - Bona, Wooten, Mechelle, Chris Minh Doky and Anthony Jackson - well worth hearing if not buying - particularly because Roy Hargrove is on it as well and it's great to hear him sparring with Stern as well - I love fusion but the more organic and live sounding the better. The JM album is really good and in the main I really like it but it is a bit over produced. I've heard some of Hadran Feraud's other track - he sent me a couple - and the guy is brilliant - I'm a fan for sure.

Cheers

Mike

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What a strange first name.

:smug:

bc

20. I gotta buy it soon!!!