Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New John Myung Prototype on tour.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Yes, an improvement on the original RBX-JM6.

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No, I like the original better.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. No difference in my mind.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    (Brought over from a conversation here).

I caught the two-night stand in Chicago last weekend (Second night - DT covers Metallica's "Master of Puppets" - dare I say better than the original?), and while they blew the house down, I must say that from where I was I loved Myung's new JM6 prototype. I didn't want to post about it until I received some solid information from Yamaha (My emails have been bouced from Yamaha USA to Japan and back again... :rolleyes: ), but here's what I can tell:
    • A smaller body that the current RBX-JM6 (one of the main complaints) with rounded body edges.
    • One soapbar pickup in the traditional "MusicMan" position. This goes with the information I reported in this thread on the modification to his main "bluegreen" bass.
    • The new prototype also appears to have the assumed volume/pan/stacked treble/bass pot layout as the green prototype (but without the mini-switch).
    • The "monorail"-type bass bridge seen on the new BB Nathan East II bass. Black hardware as well. (Bridge, tuners, and knobs)
    I've emailed Yamaha about information on the body/neck/fretboard wood, pickup model (Yamaha or aftermarket?), and whether it is a custom bass for John, or a prototype for a new JM6 model (I've heard "behind the scenes" that it is indeed a prototype, and will be introduced at Summer NAMM, but I'm waiting for conformation). I'll post any new information as it becomes available.

[​IMG]

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and to let my opinion be known, I dig it. If they can solve the weight/size issue while increasing the quality of the hardware and pickup, I think Yamaha can turn this series around.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if it is a new model, i hope they still offer those old colors - that was one of the best qualities of the original.

4. I really like it! (oh, and btw John Myung rules!:D )

5. I'd like to give it a try. If it comes in a fretless model, I'm probably sold.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe it won't have the itty bitty string spacing, which was my major complaint on the original.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And I hope it still has the ebony fretboard! That's where the little bit of tone it had came from, in my opinion! Looks like it has pau ferro, which wouldn't be too bad. If it's just light colored rosewood...ick. Mud made muddier.

Weird looking, but the proto looks pretty cool.

8. On a fretless, that wouldn't be an issue.

9. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    The look of this Bass is REALLY REALLY COOL!! I want to have a try of this bass! This bass seems like a "six string verison"Musicman Stingray! I own A Yamaha RBX-6JM right now. n its sound amazing even the lowest price! I 'm looking forward the new John Myung Bass release!~

10. I just found this pic of John from the Jelly Jam recording sessions. The bass he plays in the this pic looks kinda like a mix between his old RBX-6JM and his new model, or is it the new model?

11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thats the old one. if you look carefully, youll notice the old pickup routes have been filled in with wood, and all the finish has been sanded off the body as well. (the neck pocket in front however, and the headstock is still blue-green) thats a MM style humbucker in the traditional position (not sure what brand though) and its got the same preamp setup as the new one (retrofitted to this older JM bass) basically i would call this a transition between the two, but in actuality, it is just the original bass highly modified.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From the picture, the new bass looks really nice. Personally, I don't like the MM pickup sound.

In the second pic that thebug added, you think John could buy a chair. :D LOL

13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I found it with google:

14. yeah I thought so too SRsiegel, it's sort of an upgraded version of his standard RBX-JM6, looks kinda nice though (and sounds great, just check out The jelly jam album). Btw, the pic was taken in Rod Morgenstein's (the drummer of JJ) basement/studio.....

15. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Let us not forget that John did use a Stingray 5 on parts of the new DT album... I can only assume that this is also true of the Jelly Jam albumn?

I caught the DT show in Detroit, and it was absolutely awesome. John cut well and had nice tone IMO, and the new bass looked awesome. If Yamaha ever produces them for the public, I would definitely check one of them out.

(Also, I think that the fretboard is definitely ebony. The lighting in the pic posted above makes the wood look lighter than it really is.)

16. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    um, i wonder if that's a pan pot considering there is only one pickup. think there is a piezo on there? maybe it's a mid...

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    We hate it.

19. ldiezman

ldiezman