Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Jonas Hellborg album - kali's son

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Asaf, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i just got to hear the new album, although it's great and i dig it i still miss Shawn Lane's playing and music writing.
    but go and buy it - jonas has some great stuff on this album.

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    no comments ?

3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

who is playing guitar? drums?

So far I've been into every Hellborg project I've heard, so I'll have to pick this one up too.

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    like in the 2 last albums he still gets into that indian fusion stuff with percussionist V. Selvaganesh. but know they got this sitar player who plays a 5 string sitar (+a guitar pickup and plugged to guitar effects) - Niladri Kumar.
    the new album is more like a prog indian then the musical stuff in the 2 last albums with shawn lane.
    jonas plays a 6 string acoustic bass and the group does lots of unisons then groove stuff.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds excellent. I'l have to pick it up.

6. It's pretty good but I also miss Lane's playing.

Another great Hellborg release is the trio cd with Jeff Sipe and Paul Hanson... great playing!!!

7. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    true...the stuff with paul hanson is very unique - i dig it.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i've got some of his older stuff with the johansson brothers on keys and drums. good stuffs.

9. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
  10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    He's using this Status: essentially a six-string Energy tuned EADGBE and incorporating the 36v preamp and pickup positioning of the Status Hellborg sig model.

[​IMG]

It's his main electric bass these days. He also has a six-string ABG but I don't know who built that.

Soundclips from the album are at http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20947

11. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    thanks !!

12. I just found this:

http://www.freakkitchen.com/video/leal/Leal_Souvenir_(Mumbai).wmv

go to the section of the video with Jonas hellborg, even though I can't see it in my computer I can hear it and it is amazing!!!

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for that great video link!

There is also a detailed blog of the Hellborg Trio's Indian tour over at www.freakkitchen.com/blog

14. I got to hear the new Hellborg album. In the meantime, I'll have to watch the dvd until I get Kali's Son.

[​IMG]

15. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    wow !! great link - thanks a lot !!

16. Very nice!!! But makes me miss Shawn Lane, what a great talent!!!

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Got my copy of 'Kali's Son' a couple of weeks ago. Some very cool indo-fusion. Transcribing some of the fast unison lines would be a challenging exercise! I think the most successful parts are where Kumar eases off on the distortion and the music breathes a bit more. I'll be interested to see Hellborg's next move.

PS. If you're into the indo-jazz sound, I can heartily recommend two reissues of British Indian guitarist Amancio D'Silva from the 60s/70s, 'Integration' and 'Konkan Dance' (a 1974 album that was unreleased until last week).

18. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
  19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The trio on the new album is Hellborg, Niladri Kumar and Selvaganesh.

Hellborg's current touring trio is with Mattias Eklundh on guitar and Zoltan Csörsz Jr on drums.

Anyone who likes Hellborg's recent Indo-fusion work should checkout a great Indian guitarist called Prasanna (www.guitarprasanna) - he plays the electric guitar completely in the carnatic (Indian classical) tradition. I'd love to hear what he could do with Hellborg. He can also move into jazz and fusion styles. His most recent record has Alphonso Johnson and Victor Wooten sharing the bass chair.