1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Junker Bass Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by holdfast, Mar 28, 2015.

1. holdfast

holdfast

Jan 27, 2014
    Toronto
    Well, I bought another bass. This time it's a junker from a Salvation Army Store Auction. Got if for $100 CAD, no tax. I didn't intend to spend that much but I guess I'm a glutton for 'fixer upper' punishment. (And the money goes to a good cause.)

It's a Magnum Galaxy V. It's got a plywood body. There is no serial number or country of origin visible. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything about this particular guitar.

It's interesting that it has a chunky brass bridge and through-body strings. The truss rod works! Yeehaw! I'm in the process of straightening the neck now.

a>.

The headstock:

16935155066_51f23a2885_z.

I don't recall ever seeing this brand before. I'd be interested to hear if any of you know anything about these. My gut is saying that it is probably from the 80s. I remember seeing Hondo basses with that same chunky brass bridge back in the mid 80s.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, lots of good to great MIJ basses in the 70s and 80s used that bridge, I was just checking out a Daion with the same bridge.

3. A bullet truss rod nut....cool. looks like a fun project to me.

4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Looks serviceable, let us know how the neck works out!

5. I had an Arbor brand neck-thru Explorer copy from the '80s with what looks like the same brass bridge pieces, but the base plate was also brass.
    Yours probably had chrome saddles originally, which got replaced with those brass ones later. Makes more sense than a brass on chrome setup, which never happened on imports I've ever seen.
    All I'm saying is to ignore the brass saddles when looking for info on this bass.

6. That bridge is definitely made in Japan, actually, that bass looks a lot like a Japanese Cort I used to own, maybe the same factory?

7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Where is the Vth string?

scourgeofgod and bassrich like this.
  8. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    +1 on the bridges. Is that Daion the one being eBayed out of Texas? If you can bring that puppy home for $700 - $800, do it! Every model in the Daion Savage and Power Mark bass lines was intended to compete with the next higher model in competitors' lines. The only "bad" Daions I've seen were either abused or neglected.

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I've always wanted one, but I've spent waaaay to much on gear the last few months. ;) I do keep a search out for them though.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    It's going soon for only $460, seems like a score for someone!

11. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Are you planning on restoring it? or transforming it into something completely different?

12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Have fun with your new project. The good news is that you didn't break the bank buying it, so you'll have enough left to mod it.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    And if the plywood ain't doing it for you, but everything else, there's a solution for that. ;)

14. Seems to be a bit of a derail, seems that everyone thinks highly of Daion. I got a performer (bottom of the line) 6 months ago which plays great.

As for the magnum 5. Can I suggest you turn it into a 5?

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    It also looks a lot like the bridge and string arrangement from the Epiphone Accubass.

Come to think of it, that could be a complete Cort Accubass body with a different neck. Some runs of the Accubass were plywood, and some were not.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  16. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I see you are from an ANZAC country, and I've noticed over the years that down there the most frequently encountered Daion seems to be the P-based (sorry) Performer. We hardly see these in the Untied States of America; what we see are Savages, Mark Xs, and Mark XXs -- all fine instruments.

17. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :jawdrop: OMG! THE LONG LOST WHITE MAGNUM GALAXY V P-BASS!!! Are you aware that Jaco played that bass? (or one sort of like it, for a minute or so, sometime before he passed away… at least that's what I read on-line, somewhere) ;)

18. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I heard that same story from a friend of mine who was a roadie for Jaco, so I know it's true.

StinkFoot likes this.
  19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Hey! My cousin's sister twice removed has a friend whose sister knew a guy whose sister knew a guy who was roommates of the brother of that Jaco roadie dude, so I know this has to be true.
    For real...

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  20. holdfast

holdfast

Jan 27, 2014
    Toronto
    Thanks all for your comments. I'll keep you posted as to how this one works out. Today I'm just going to clean it. It's filthy.

Right now it looks like I will restore it. I wouldn't rule out modifying. It just depends on how good the neck is.

I still can't find the Vth string. It must be defective. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    StinkFoot and nuhckes8 like this.