1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Kelly fretless..acousticore or jazz flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gintaras, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have just got Kelly fretless and getting ready to take it to my luthier. I have read every thread on TB about strings for the fretless abg's and I am down to TI acousticore or the jazz flats. The D'addarios that came with only sound good while amp'd and only on the lower notes. I will be using this for practicing at night and getting together with my acoustic guitar friends. I do not expect it to be loud enough to play with other people.

Can someone help me with what would be the fundamental differences between using the 2 strings? I would like to get more of an upright sound but do not want to get one dimensional in my sound.

2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Fundamental differences are many, as you know, one string is nylon roundwound phos. bronze, the other is steel and nickel.
    I just got a set of Acousticores for my Cort MEB. You lose around 25% of your unplugged volume fingerstyle, 10% or so with the pick. Amp'd, the tone is awesome, very warm and natural with just a hint of piezo crunch in the highs ~ they basically turn it into a bass classical guitar sound. You can even use classical vibrato techniques.
    But, most people going for an uprighty sound would choose flats, I think, much more thud.
    As far as getting one dimensional in sound, well, don't go blaming that on the strings. :)

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    You are absolutely right!!! This has become my number one practice instrument and it is sounding better and better. I usually start on practice sessions warming up on the Kelly. I especially like it plugged into my LMKII and Aggie GS112.