Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Ken Smith preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ostinato, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd like to hear for any KS owners who have a recent model with the newer preamp option. My question is this:

What do those little Dip switches (inside the control cavity) do for the EQ?

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1, I'm interested in this pre too.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you can tweak the frequencies with it. I find it very powerful and in keeing with the power of the preamp only minute adjustments are needed to affect a change in tone....

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Could you go into more detail? I've been a Ken Smith fan for years, but like a few other guys, I always had trouble dailing in a sound, especially in the mids.
    On the website there's a pic showing the preamp with what appears to be a surface mounted unit with six dip switches, I'm assuming 2 for each freq centre?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    really ? I have never had a problem, that's just me i suppose.

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    ..Just got back from a local dealer. They had a BSR4 that I finally figured out how to EQ. :oops: :oops: :oops:

My opinion of these basses has chaned 180 degrees after playing it for over an hour. I got a great bridge pickup bark for my fusiony tendencies, a decent P-tone for some finger grooves, and a whole lot a other good useable tones.
    The key for me was controlling the treble knob (ie. turning it almost off) and the mid (boosting or cutting to taste) for most of my playing. The treble is great for solo work though!