New King Crimson October 8th!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Happy With What You Have to Be Happy With will be hitting stores on 8 October. It will be an EP a la VROOOM and should contain entirely new material, some of which will also be on KC's upcoming studio album due to be released in February.

I'm looking forward to these discs; they should have a harder, more metallic edge, due to the band's recruitment of "Machine" (late of Coal Chamber, Pitchshifter, and White Zombie) as the album's producer.

Mark your calendars and prepare your wallets, everyone.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what's the lineup, do you know? are bill and tony back yet?
  3. Bill is never coming back. Sorry, dude. He won't play electronic drums and he's seriously committed to Earthworks.

As for TLev, he's occupied by the Peter Gabriel tour. Trey Gunn's work lately has been sufficiently mighty that one doesn't really miss him.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You can say that again. The current lineup is awe inspiring. I don't know if "The Deception of the Thrush" will work in ths studio though..... :)
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the info! For anyone who has it, Level Five probably has some early recordings of the newer material from the tour last year. The new line-up lacks in nothing, and as much as I loved Levin and Bruford, they truly aren't missed. I'm still holding out for Nuovo Metal.
  6. I was reading in In The Court of King Crimson, a great book about the group(s), that Fripp wanted to go on the road with a lineup of himself, John Wetton, Michael Giles and Ian McDonald. The band would not be called King Crimson, but would play stuff from the band's 1969-74 period. Alas, McDonald balked, as he was interested in doing a full blown KC '69 reunion...not likely, of course, because Greg Lake and Fripp are barely on speaking terms.

I'd love to see the Fripp-Wetton-Giles-McDonald lineup. In the meantime, I guess I'll just wait for the latest.
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Sorry folks...I've got to go against the grain here and say that King Crimson was MUCH better with Levin and Bruford. That double trio setup was some of the most amazing live music I've ever witnessed. I saw most of their later projekts minus Levin and Bruford, and while they had their high points, it wasn't nearly as awe inspiring. In fact, I left feeling a little cheated. But, that's the beauty of art....most of it is up to personal tastes and interpretation.

I also don't agree that Bruford will NEVER play with KC again....never say never my friend.
  8. "Fripp says, 'move on.'" :p Personally, I find the ProjeKCt 3 stuff--just Fripp, Gunn, and Mastelotto--to be vastly more powerful than the P1 stuff. I have no doubt that Pat Mastelotto is the perfect drummer for Crimson right now.

Here's a request: don't come to shows and shout things like "Where's Bill?!" or "SCHIZOOOOOOOID!" Nothing pisses me off more.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well as Steve Lawson has mentioned in his forum, the "21st Century" Schizoid Band" is touring the UK with people who played on the early Crimson albums (still my favs!) - here's the details provided by Steve :

The 21st Century Schizoid Band

Original members of the legendary King Crimson ‘family’ come together for Autumn UK tour

The 21st Century Schizoid Band sees four members of the original and early King Crimson lineups on stage for the first time since 1969. Audiences on the forthcoming UK tour will not only witness the band revisiting classic cuts from landmark albums such as ‘In The Court of The Crimson King’ and ‘In The Wake of Poseidon’, but will also hear studio material which has never been performed live. Combined with their legendary instrumental prowess, this makes The 21st Century Schizoid Band a rare experience.

This extraordinary combination features two original members from 1969: Michael Giles (drums & percussion) and Ian McDonald (sax, flute, keyboards), and two members from 1970: Mel Collins (alto / tenor, flute, keyboards) and Michael’s brother Peter Giles (bass), plus Michael’s son-in-law Jakko Jakszyk of Level 42 on guitar and lead vocals.

Michael Giles called his brother Peter and Ian McDonald and, along with Jakko, the four of them got together at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios in Wiltshire to see if the idea would work. The chemistry immediately sparked up and, within a few weeks, second King Crimson saxophonist Mel Collins had been recruited to complete this stunning lineup.

A suitably Schizoid sense of humour pervades the band’s collective psyche, as Michael sums up: “The 21st Century Schizoid Band’s musical sanity stands astride the seesaw of silliness and seriosity. Members of the public attend these shows at their own risk!”

Prior to the 21st Century Schizoid Band’s UK tour, the band will be making their very first appearance on Saturday 24th August at Canterbury Fayre 2002, the three-day music festival at Mount Ephraim Gardens, Hernhill, near Canterbury, Kent.
  10. Yep, I'm well aware of the Schizoid Band. I think they're doing a great service: not only are they serving pent-up demand, they're freeing Fripp, Belew, & Co. from anything near the obligation to play songs that have little to do with any recent lineups.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'll be sure not to shout "Where's Bill?" or "SCHIZZZOOID" but I can't guarantee I won't shout "Where's Tony?!!!?" I'll make sure I don't yell anything if I'm at a New York show....or are there laws against that?
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - maybe I should have addressed this to Steve Holroyd who seemed to be interested in earlier lineups?
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Has anyone heard the BPM&M CD of Crimso music that was tweaked by Pat Mastellotto's evil mad scientist alter-ego? I've only heard the samples on Levin's site and I want that CD! (and when I get a job and some money I'll have it :) )

While I think that Bruford is one of the greatest living drummers and I love Levin's stuff I still like what this current 4 piece is doing. Their improv is much tighter than when I saw the double trio and also compared to the double-trio's live recordings. I do sometimes still long to hear Levin's fat sound in there but oh well. Gunn is good.

Peter - do you subscribe to Elephant Talk? Great source for Crimso news and discussion (that's where I first heard about the upcoming Oct. 8th release) right in your mailbox. I've been a subscriber for 8 years now. Check it out if you don't already subscribe.

brad cook
  14. I used to be an Elephant Talk subscriber, but I got bored after I realized that most of it is "Adrian Belew/Trey Gunn/Pat Mastelotto sucks!!!" and "Hey, we're all into prog, let's talk about Spock's Beard!" posts. No thanks.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn. That might be kinda interesting. Machine sure can produce an album. I mean, sheesh, look at White Zombie's Astro Creep! THAT is some serious producing.

This could redeem KC for me (you're slowly eating my resistance away, Pete...)
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True, there are a lot of those...I usually open it and take a look at the index of topics and read any that seem interesting (sometimes that's none). Still though I enjoy reading some of the things there and occasionally Fripp himself posts.

brad cook
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i just got in the court....

can anyone recommend any other KC stuff? i really like "21st...Schizoid..." and i'm not totally into the 'hippy' stuff.

i'm really interested in the "double-trio" lineup. what recordings did they make, and which do you like best?
  18. "Discipline" is a must have.
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm...recommendations...I say go to say and do a search for King Crimson. After looking at all the KC recordings available then go out and buy all of them. :)

Just kidding...some others you might want to check out are Red, Starless and Bible Black, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (all good albums from 73/74), Discipline (definitive Crimson studio album from the 80's) Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal (definitive live crimson from the 80's), Cirkus: The Young Person's Guide to Live King Crimson (I think that's the title), B'Boom (double trio live in '95), Heavy ConstruKCtion (live most recent lineup)...I could go on but any of those are pretty representative of the respective time period and lineup.

All great albums

brad cook
  20. Bruce Lindfield

I think the point is though, that no Crimson album since "In the Court...." has sounded remotely like that! Fripp, basically took all new band members for each of the next phases of the band and played very different musical styles.

So that album is far more like contemporaries from that era than anything that subsequent version of King Crimson did - so parts of it sound more like Emerson Lake and Palmer, than any subsequent King Crimson incarmations - unsuprising given that Greg Lake didn't sing on any other Crimson albums.

I also think that a lot of British Prog Rock bands at the time were influenced by this album from Crimson - like Barclay James Harvest - and maybe this is exactly why Fripp changed the musical direction as he didn't want to be associated with his bastard offspring!! ;)

So after this, there were loads of British bands playing "epic" songs with mellotron - the Strawbs, for example went from folk-rock to sound very much like early King Crimson with the addition of Rick Wakeman on Mellotron!! ;)