Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new King Crimson - the power to believe

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 5, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. YAAAAAY!!! My dad has tix to see them this saturday... if my progress report is good enough, i'm gonna be able to go

3. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Fred,

The record is superb, IMHO the best they've done in quite some time. It's a strange record, even for a Crimso.

And now to change context to Freaky Fender....

Boston show... closes they're coming to me, I'll be there. I *REALLY* dislike the Orpheum.

4. meh, it's ok.. i'll PM you if i get to go, if i do, be on the look out for a kid about 5'8 in glasses and with a flame hat on. you can't miss me..

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Holy crap! Talk about different for Crimso!! I like it though. That's a cool song! I'm excited. That bass sounds awesome when they break into the "Happy with what you have to be happy with what...." chorus. Don't know how the rest of the album sounds but this song is a refreshing change from The ConstruKCtion of Light.

brad cook

6. This is a much, much better album than TCoL. The compositions are streamlined--once ideas develop, they are set aside before we get tired of them--and all of the tunes are fabulous.

Sadly, I will miss them on this tour, but I heard hints of this new direction when I saw them in Buffalo in December '01, so I am glad for the boys. Perhaps, if a summer tour is in the works, I can catch them.

7. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    I tend to agree, I was particularly impressed how they took what I thought was the weakest instrumental on the last tour ("Virtuous Circle"), mixed it up with a rather long steel drum-esque thing from the EP ("Shoganai") and added a dash of Ade's "All Her Love is Mine" and turned out what was IMHO the strongest track on the new record ("The Power to Believe II").

I think this one succeeds more than TCOL primarily because it's much more forward looking. TCOL was one of the rare moments when Crimson was very self-referencial (i.e. "FraKctured", Larks IV, and even the title track to a lesser extent...). I felt the band sounded almost hesitent to find themselves, whereas the new record is definitely a new direction.

Maybe it was a more cohesive material development cycle, just about all of the new album surfaced on the 2001 tours, whereas TCOL (released in 2000) was derived from the last Double Trio sessions ('97) and rather heavily from the ProjeKct stuff ('97-99).

Or it could just be me. :D

I think the plan is U.S. in March, Japan in April, Europe in summer, full U.S. tour in the fall.

I'm somewhat annoyed I'm only seeing them once this time around, but they're not doing a lot of dates on this tour.

All told though, it will be my tenth KC show, though the first time I saw them ('95 in New Haven) sticks out in my head as the best live show I've ever seen.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Discipline show at Toads in New Haven (82 ? 83 ?) simply amazing. One of my fav shows of all time. Is Toads still there and going strong ? That was a great place to play and also to catch other folks coming through the area. Killer house system.

9. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this will be my 30th anniversary KC show.

i saw them first in 1973 in Kansas City.

lineup:

1. Charles Lloyd
    2. Gentle Giant
    3. King Crimson

one of my favorite concerts of all time.

saw them again in 1980 in Phoenix...beginning of the Discipline era.

then again in 1995....SMOKIN THRAK tour.

i've been listening to the new CD...i like. i'm taking my daughter who says she's into hardcore...

though Dillinger Escape Plan, Naked City's Torture Garden, etc...are too much for her

HA!

we'll see what she thinks.

f

10. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Yeah, Toad's still has a most excellent sound system and still there, but it's turned into a bit of a dive... not sure what it was like way back when, but...

11. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Has she ever expressed an opinion on KC? I could imagine that Naked City might be a bit hard to swallow....

Which show are you going to, BTW? Don't snap any photos! :D

12. I will also be at the King Crimson show at the Orpheum... ill probably see you there Freaky Fender. I have RC third row mezannine balcony seating (whatever that is).... long black hair, long green trench coat... cant miss me.

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Mikestack: she's been listening to my progressive crap every since she was a baby.

she used to sing along with Robert Wyatt's Rockbottom. pretty darned cute.

she knows of Crimson...i used to play RED for her and her friends.

by now, she's forgotten.

i recently took her a 3 of her friends to a FINCH concert...not bad...a bit samey. good sound. loud.

i want her to hear more than what's on the radio.
    f

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Alifie my larder - no nit not...etc. " :D

15. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Noble goal, I find commercial radio to be getting worse as time goes on. :meh:

We *do* have a nice listener supported format free station here in CT, which gives me everything from political insight to sort of oddball news to progressive rock, jazz, blues, world musics, ecstacy (the genre, so to speak, not the "dietary supplement"), all the good stuff I can't hear anywhere else.

I've heard that the Tool connection/tour has done quite a bit for the Crimson audience and that it's gotten a bit younger. I'm curious to see, given that the shows in question were in the south (east), and as far as I know, the Tool/Crimson tour didn't make it there.

Really this doesn't surprise me, it occurs to me that the majority of 90s/2000s metal I listen to is all directly inspired by Crimson. Very much atmospheric music with lots of open space, certainly not the same form of metal implemented by the likes of Black Sabbath,Judas Priest , and Iron Maiden or the following generation of Guns 'n' Roses, Metallica, and Megadeth.

Alas, labels will be the death of commercial radio, if they aren't already.

Oddly enough, I started listening to Tool when I found out that Crimson was opening for them since I was holding out for east coast dates and wanted to see what I was paying for.... of course, they didn't tour the northeast, so it became a moot point, but that Lateralus record is pretty good.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw the show two days ago in Alexandria. It was amazing. Trey Gunn is my hero. I also saw the 2001 Level Five tour, but this one is IMO better. I really like ConstruKtion and Level Five and "Happy..." and the oldest stuff they performed was a THRAK song. (VROOOM - my favorite KC song).

Don't miss them if they're coming to your town.

I have no plans to get the new album, my CD budget has been destroyed by Bruce Cockburn remasters.

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'll be seeing them at the Grove in Anaheim, CA.

f

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I started exploring my parents record collection when I was probably about 5 years old. Of course I played the Court of the Crimson King album...what 5 year old could ignore that crazy album cover art? I was an immediate fan from the first couple of bars of 21st Century Schizoid Man and I haven't looked back since. I listened to that record quite a bit after that and gradually got into them more and more as I got older. Turned out my cousin was a big Crimhead and he turned me onto a lot of their other stuff. Thanks, mom and dad! :bassist:

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I stopped by Circuit City on my lunch break and bought the new album (Best Buy didn't have it! :mad: ). Sounds great so far although there are some themes that harken back to Thrak and before. Some people have complained a lot about that but I don't think it's to the point that those repeated themes dominate the album. Happy With What... is just a CRUSHING song. That's awesome. You would never guess that it has humurous lyrics if you weren't listening to them. Lots of great stuff on this album. I'm listening to it in my office right now and I haven't had a chance to really absorb it. We'll see how it holds up under repeated listenings.

I hope they add a Texas date somewhere down the line!! I haven't seen them since the '95 double-trio and I'd love to see this band. Mastellotto is thunderous! Not that I didn't like Bruford..he remains among my favorite drummers but to me he's more of a finesse, technical guy - a completely different kind of drummer than the unleashed terror of PM. His style SO fits this album.

brad cook

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Just got mine, it's on first listen right now. Realized that it's 7 v. 11 in Level 5, that pattern will be a bit harder to learn than the Thrak one :). Eyes Wide Open is great - the fretless Warr sounds really good.

I'm looking forward to the show here on the 24th. My seats are up front, but way on the left. I'll have a good view of Trey at least.