Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Kingston 5 fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jet black, ebony board. Haven't plugged it in yet or taken a detailed look--I'm at work--but I'm impressed. Nice mwah right out of the carton.

More details to follow...pics probably aren't forthcoming, since I don't have a digicam, but you can look at the ones at access-bass.com, which is where I ordered mine.

Adrian Garcia is the man!

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    can i be so unpolite and ask you how much did you pay for it?

thanks

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ain't these things a kick, Pete?

And now, we have a common ground to compare necks...so how does the FBB stack up against the K5?

Back to the topic at hand: These things rule all over the place. They are about as playable a bass as you're likely to find. Mine is like buttah, and it's fretted. Of course the best thing is that They are simple, no nonsense basses. I've recorded with one through my WT-300, and these things record great. Mind growled like a bisnatch. That's a good thing. So hopefully yours'll mwah like shiz.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    LOL!!!
    my dictionary ommited those!!
    Glad you're diggin it Peter- keep me posted on how it soinds thru your rig- peace!!- Adrian:)

5. The neck is thin compared to my FBB, but the asymmetric profile makes it very comfortable and discourages fingerboard-eating bends. (It's a fretless. Who needs to bend strings?)

I'm gonna run it through my Clarus when I get back from work in 10 minutes and write a detailed review then.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fo sheezy. Tryin t' keep it real in the hood, dawg!

Now I suspect that the preceeding statement might makes sense to some people...Me? I dunno, sounds like gibberish to me too...

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Ade, do they make a 4 string lined fretless?

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    sho nuff!! they gotz fo's!!!

9. Dude. Rock.

I love this thing's plugged-in sound. I may not even change the pickup like I thought I would. I'm definitely gonna put a preamp in for impedance-matching purposes, but the pickup stays.

I think I'll take these MTD strings off. I can already see wear in the fingerboard. Stainless steel is bad for ebony fingerboards...

My intonation is pretty ass right now, but it'll get better in time, I swear :rolleyes:

This is a really solid, well-put-together bass. It's got a monstrous low B considering its weight (maybe 9 pounds). The tuners and bridge feel very solid. The knobs are on a bit loose, but they will probably be replaced anyway when I put in an NTBT.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

10. what's under the pickguard? i've always thought they were kind of ugly, can you just take them off?

currently, a 5 string kingston or heir is the front runner for the next bass i buy (which probably won't happen for quite some time, but still...)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    DHC...they have a bit of natural wood from the neck sticking out, unfinished, unpainted, so it's one solid color and then BAM wood. So it's kinda ass like that. I took it off for about 5 minutes, to see, and put the pickgaurd right back on. Now I have a flat black pickgaurd (not perloid) that really accents the bass well.

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oh, by the way...CONGRATS PETER!

f

14. Man, Fred, that is a STEALTH KINGSTON.

-----

I popped on some DR Sunbeams, gauges 40-130. Talk about mwah...they're lower tension than the stock MTDs, so I didn't have to tweak the truss rod to get MAXIMUM MWAH.

15. Wow, looks great. Congrats on the bass man.
    I am still paying off my 5501. I will let every one know when I have it and try to post some pics.:)

16. I think it needs a new nut, but that's to be expected on any Korean-made instrument.

What would y'all recommend for a fretless bass nut? Graphite or bone?

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    BONE for me, man!

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    cant wait to get my Kingston 5 or Heir 5 if i find one in 6 more days!!!!

me sooo happy!! :)

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Peter,

Do you still plan on doing a lot of mods to your Kingston?

20. Possibly. I much prefer a quick-release bridge, so I'll probably take a drive up to Interlaken when I get back to Ithaca (it's about 15 miles away) and visit Hipshot to see if I could get a Style A on there without too much trouble.

The tuners seem pretty solid. I think they'll stay.

The pickup will probably stay as well, although a Bartolini MV5E triple-coil would be nice (but hella-expensive). I will definitely add an NTBT and will order one when I get back to school. I suck at slinging solder, so I'm gonna have one of my bored EE friends wire it up.

I'm still not sold on the white pearloid pickguard. Red or black tortoiseshell would be pretty sweet, but brushed aluminum or anodized silver would be even sweeter.