Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Knob Design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noaita, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Hello all!

I am working on a new knob design and was curious how many of you might be interested in such a creature.

So many of the high end instruments these days offer LEDs on the neck or in the fretboard. How about knobs with matching LEDs as postion markers? I think I have figured a way to actually make this happen but want to get some feedback as to whether anybody would even care for such a thing. I am aiming to have samples to post by the end of the year.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Roger
    THG Knobs

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    bring 'em on! powered within the knob itself?
    by the way, I love your stuff. it's a very cool thing that you offer what you do. Great way to add to the look of a bass.

3. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Thanks for the compliments, Adrian.

Yes, they will be powered from within the knobs themselves. It will be quite a chore but I have the design all ready to test. I just have to get the components together and get to work.

Roger
    THG Knobs
    http://www.thgknobs.com

4. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    That was something that I was thinking about for many years!
    Do it!
    <b>“I am aiming to have samples to post by the end of the year.”</b>
    Put me on the list ;-)

/EA

Edin Electric Bass Guitars

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How about knobs that would be lighted from below by leds? Perhaps you could make a bottom layer of slightly tinted plexi or something and then light it from inside.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wanna cool idea, free of charge? Use a single bicolor LED, and make the color change from red through yellow to green as the pot is turned up. A glance would tell you the approximate pot position.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    sweet idea HD

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd go for a set, provided that it doesn't cost more than an Essex Jazz

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Roger, please put me on your mailing list! I'll even be your alpha tester if you need one. :) There's a new fretless Roscoe LG-3005 in my future, it has a burl redwood top and it's getting the neck LED's put in right now. The lighting is indispensible for dark stages, it really helps. The bass would be greatly enhanced by a nice set of complementary knobs. As you may know, there are no dots or markers of any kind on the Roscoe knobs, and it would be nice to be able to see where the settings are. It would be even nicer to have a matching set of pinpoint LEDs on the knobs. That sounds like a great idea. They'd have to be visible at extreme viewing angles, like looking down from a typical playing position is almost a right angle depending on the position of the knob. Very interesting concept. How would you turn the LEDs on and off? Or, I suppose you could just leave them on all the time? Anyway, I'm over here in Burbank, let's chat sometime. - Brian

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I think it's a great idea. It will be top quality no matter what you do Roger!!

11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've been wanting to find something like that for so long! i think it would pretty cool, but it would probly be very $$$ though...

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Noaita the problem, with these types of threads is that thos who like the idea post, those who don't flick over to the next thread without posting.

I think the general trend would be that those who like led's on their neck will like them on the knobs as well.

13. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    Hey, Pete,

I hear what you're saying. The people who don't like the idea don't concern me as much as those who do. If there are people out there who have an interest in such a product, I will make it for them. It is the same with the idea of wooden knobs in general. Some people dig 'em, others couldn't care less.

I'm glad that you have an interest in the knobs. I'll keep you all posted as I get the designs in order.

Roger
    THG Knobs

14. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    knobs are knobs to me...but, if i had the money and all i would have to do is buy knobs and put them on and there was no wiring or anything i would probably do it.

15. Sounds good! I was just thinking, something like this would be pretty cool. You could make the colors vary from red to green or something, depending on intensity (like HeavyDuty said).

[​IMG]

16. I've always(and by always I mean I just thought of it now) wanted a bass with a black light in the neck.... is it possible?

useless post I know

But I like the idea of LEDs anyways...
    Always looks badass when you can hear the music but all you see is this row of green lights.

GLenn

17. i think it would be a cool idea but a bit impractical. lots of people would more likely try to get a feel for where their pots are if they need to change volume/tone around a lot at gigs, just the same with playing in the dark people will get a feel for where they are on the neck

how much do you think it will cost? i'm just curious

18. Roger,

After seeing the quality of your work on my Nordstrand, I would be interested in seeing anything you came up with!

You do GREAT work!!
    Jeff

19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I was thinking that in total dark, an LED on a knob may tell you where the knob is, but may not clearly indicate which direction it is turned. If there were two LEDs however, for example a red dead center of the top and a yellow at the rim, they would clearly indicate the position.

20. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I'd be interested