New Kolstein strings now on the market

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by martinc, Jul 22, 2004.

1. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

I got an e mail from Kolsteins today, saying the new Heritage pizz/arco Perlon core strings are now finally available at an introductory price of $135.00 US.

I may try a set to see if they outlast the Obligato's.

2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I received mine yesterday, slapped them on at lunch, and played a gig last night.

In short: I LIKE 'EM!

A full report will be filed after submitting them to my rigorous testing and evaluation procedures.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    But...but...that could take minutes! :D
  4. kaybass1952

Mar 12, 2004
    I'm about to purchase new strings .I'm using trusty Spiros (medium),but need something that bows better .Anybody know how Heritages might compare to Spiros... tone for pizz & arco ,tension and over all quality.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am going to assume that they are very similar to Thomastik Dominants. Clear sound, easy to bow. You have to be careful with these strings though. You can't take them off and put them on more than a couple times. They will break.
  6. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Took off a set of Original Flexocores that were over two years old and tried the Heritage strings. Overall I like them. To me they seem to have a slightly higher tension and bow easier than Obligatos. Not as dark as the Orig Flex, but still an overall good sounding string with more overtones. Pizzicato - I think the Obligatos have a little more volume, but under the bow it sounds like the Heritage strings are louder. The Heritage strings do have good sustain. Let's see how they hold up with time.
  7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone had any experience with the Kolstein Varicor Excel's for orchestra? I'm thinking of replacing the Corelli's on my bas with a set?

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Did you search the archives?
    These strings have been discussed many times in the past.
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did that last night! Was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences. Thanks.