Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Labella's and problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jucas, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    This is half rant and half question, so if anyone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated...

So I went to buy me a new set of strings for the Godin Fretless A5. Found some Labella flats, and of course couldn't wait to get them on. Ran into two problems... First, the Labella's are too thick to fit into my tuning pegs... Kind of a problem, but i managed to trim them and fit them in a little way. Far from ideal, but it seems to be working for now.

Second, and larger problem is with the bass, so this may be in the wrong place. The wood pegs which "hold" the string into the bridge really aren't actually doing what they're supposed to. They are really loose and before the strings are even remotely close to being at the correct tension, the peg is shooting out. Can I just wedge something in there to help keep it tight enough to hold the string or do I pretty much just have to order new pegs and hope that they work.

Kind of a problem, even more so considering that I just payed for a month of lessons which start on wednesday. If anyone has a suggestion to help either of these issues, please let me know...

And as a side rant... 4 string labella's were 50 bucks, and the 5's were 75... a 25 dollar (can) B string seems a litlle pricey... espescially when they don't actually fit on my bass.

Thanks everyone...
    -Chris

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    It sounds like you have the standard Labella's for an electric bass. These are a high tension string, and may not be appropriate for your bass. You probably should stick with strings dessigned for acoustic type basses. Otherwise your bridge pins may not be strong enough to hold those strings. Also you could damge your bass by overstressing the top.

Here is a link to juststrings. As I don't see 5 string sets for A/E type basses I assume you have the wrong strings.

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricacousticbassguitar.html

I suggest getting a new set of strings for A/E type basses. I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but a set of strings is far cheaper than having to have your bass repaired. Good luck.

Oh, and very nice bass you have. I've been very impressed by Godin instruments build quality and attention to detail.

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Thanks for the responses,

Quick question for you glwanabe, So I should be going with an acoustic bass string? THe bass was shipped with what appeared to be a flatwound for an electric bass, so I assumed that the LaBella 760 FM in a 5 string set would suffice. I think that the problem was that I hadn't shcnged strings on anything with bridge pins in a while, as the strings weren't what was pulling them out, but rather they were loose and would fall out on their own. Was wondering if any of this made a difference, orif they were still probablygoing to be high tension. As you say, it sucks buying new strings, but I'd rather that than have my bass fixed... Also, how about the recomended tapewounds? I eyed a set up, but I could only find the four string set... Do I specifially find a string that claims to be low tension, or is there any way to tell before trying them on?

Sorry about all the questions, but I think I'd cry if something happened to that bass. Thanks for the help,
    -Chris

4. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I checked the Godin website, and yes your bass comes strung with Godin stainless flatwounds. I don't know for sure but it appears they are made for Godin by D'adarrio. This is based solely on the package picture from their website of the ball ends of the strings. They do say there strings are made for them by someone else.

I would use acoustic bass strings. Godin also list a different type of string for there solid body basses so I would assume from that, that they are using Acoustic bass stings. The easy answer here is to shoot an email to Godin and get it from the horses mouth.

Here is a link to there site.
    http://www.godinguitars.com/email.htm

I just don't think that cedar top on your bass was meant to take the kind of stress that standard Labella's will impart to it.

If you do find that you need new bridge pins, those should be a pretty straight forward thing to aquire.

5. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hey again,

So here'sthe response godin sent me... They recomend lighter strings, but is that differencein guage enough that I shuold take of the current set, or is one time probly going to bealright ? I suppose that 80 more bucks is better than a new bass.

Hi Chris,

The A5 is factory fitted with a .045, .065, .080, .100, .130 set.
    La Bella 760 FM .049, .069, .089, .109, .128 are heavier (exept for the low B).
    We recommend using a slightly lighter set, like LaBella 760 FL .043, .060, .082, .104, .128

Regards,

Michel
    Godin Guitars

EDIT: The weird thing isthat the heavier B that it came strung with seemed flopier and harder to hear/get the right pitch... Iguess that the FL's have the same guage on the B soif I like the FM's the B should at least be the same?

Thanks
    -Chris

6. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm not sure if Godin understands That these Labella's are for solid body basses. Regardless, the Labella's are not appropriate for your bass even if you can use standard solid body strings.

I don't know why I forgot to mention it before now. Labella's are not to be used with any string thru body bridge. The break over angle at the bridge is to sharp and causes the string to break. There is also an issue with the headstock portion of these strings. Labella has told me that, only the silk wrapped portion should turn around the tuning peg, or you could break the string at that point. Labella has very good customer service and if you write them and tell them whats happening, they have custom wound some tapered end strings for basses with unique situations. My personel dealings with them has been very good.

I don't see whether or not you specifically asked if your supposed to use an A/E type string or if you can use a normal solid body instrument string. I still have the opinion that you should be using an A/E type string. Unless Godin refutes my opinion an says your bass was designed to use standard solid body strings. Glwanabe

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    THanks,

I hadn't really realized that there even were specific A/E strings. I suppose I'm off to take off the LaBella's and try to find something better in town.

-Chris