Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Lakland 55-02 D on the way!...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just pulled the trigger on a deal for this bass. They had a holiday special I just couldn't pass up, and I've been GAS'n bad for a 55-02 D or 55-94 D for a LONG time. :hyper:

[​IMG]

Other pics here, if interested...

Lakland 55-02 Deluxe

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Congrats - they are great basses aren't they?!

I tried one recently and found it to be one of the easiest 5 strings to play. So I too ordered a 55-01D. It will be here Wednesday!!! Mine will be Natural color quilt top with rosewood board. I went nuts and ordered a 44-02D too in the same color as your 55-02. Very cool.

(thanks to Gard and Grasshopper at BC)

3. I bought this bass today:)
    It plays like a dream.

4. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Whats the difference between a 55-02 and a 55-94?

5. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    the only differance between the 55-94 and 55-02 is that the 55-94 is made in America and the 55-02 is made in Korea. However even though it's made in Korea, before they go out to the stores in the US they go to the Lakland shop in Chicago to get looked at by Dan Lakin and his staff for quality control. That's why it's sometimes possible to get a 55-02 that sounds better than a 55-94.

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Alder is available for body wood on the 55-94. The neck wood on 55-94's is quarter-sawn (when you look at the top of the headstock, the grain runs vertically instead of side to side). The 55-94 neck is also reinforced with graphite and you have ebony as an option for the fretboard. More choices of finish color on the 55-94. The 55-02 neck has a satin finish, and the 55-94 has an oil finish. The tuners on the 55-02 are manufactured under license from Hipshot by someone else. The main difference is $1000 or so... I've never had to take advantage of it, but Lakland is known for their superb customer service for any instrument they sell. Maybe when I get old, decrepid, and too arthritic, I MAY let my 55-94 go. Then again, I may hang it on the wall to remind me of good times!

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    thanks for all the good info folks!... I knew about the diff avail body woods, but not the neck cut diff or the diff fingerboard avails, and neck finish too. I don't have the extra 1K anyway, so it was either this or nothing. I'd prolly rather have the oil neck finish if I had the cash, but a satin finish is just fine for me, too, and I've heard from a player's POV, it gets darn hard to tell a good 55-02 from a 55-94, which excites me. :)

Plus, the guys at that shop specialize in super high end stuff like Fodera, so they're super particular, and they hand pick everything, so I'm pretty confident this is a "good one", on top of everything else (including the exceptional deal I got for a brand new one with OHSC.)

They also said this one in particular had one of the best B's ever, and that's really key to me both from a practical POV as well as an indicator of the quality of the bass.

Anyone wanna do a poll on the mid setting (since changing the mid freq is something you don't do much due to it being a dip switch inside) or fave knob/switch settings? Since the MM pickup is basically two pickups in one with its own "pickup selector" switch, I have no idea what that's gonna' be like to use.

Strangely, I've NEVER touched a Lakland. I'm buying this thing on reputation and mp3 recording listening alone. First time for me.

8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Congrats on the new bass! I hope you like yours half as much as I like mine. They really are great basses.

9. Congrats on your new bass.
    I was almost got same bass on ebay last week but I couldn't.
    Oh I would miss that bass for a long time.. :crying:

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Congrats on your new bass. Those sound really good and will give you much playing pleasure.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I read all the buzz about these things, so now I get to find out first hand. Wed-Thu is not going to get here fast enough. :)

I'm still very curios about what other Laklanders do with their preamps, tho. Especially that internal mid point switch.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    First, and especially now after spending some time with my new baby, congrats to you too, bas_anton! :)

Wow. Unbelievable value here. Unreal tone and playability for the money. I'd maybe even say unbeatable, except those nagging Peavey Cirrus' are also pretty serious sleepers in their own right, as well.

Bottom line is, this thing is a tonal playground, complete with some damn good growl as well as some aweful sweet modern tones, and I just can't get enough of it. Can't wait to gig with it, but I can tell already it's gonna' cut through any mix with no problem, and sing with an undeniable voice... yes, even in a cover band. ;)

I'm VERY happy. :)

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow, that is nice! I just bought a 55-01 with the same finish and neck!! I should have it by the end of the week! Congrats!

14. I messed around w/ my brother-in-law's 55-94 this weekend and loved it. I'm sure I'll have to go with the 55-02 when I get ready for my next bass though, due to the $$$ difference. Considering I just bought Stingray a few months back, it will take me some time to convince the wife I need another bass.

Congrats.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pfffft!! I haven't even told my wife yet!! :eek:

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Just an FYI, but if this is your first Lakland, brace yourself. You will be impressed. :) Congrats to you too! :)

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ummm... no comment... ;)

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You will NOT be disappointed in the 55-02! :)

Two words... "trade in." Just kidding... sorta'! :)

Disclaimer: IMHO follows... :)

I say that 'cause I tried a few SR5's at NAMM last summer and believe it or not it killed my GAS for one. Not because they weren't well made or whatnot, but mainly 'cause I just didn't get what I wanted out of them. IMHO, when the first thing you do is reach for the amp or the bass EQ after selecting a pickup config, it ain't "the one".

Personally I think the 55-xx Lakland is the best of both worlds for me... all the best attribs of the SR's along with other super sweet tones added in. Tried the Bongo too, and while it also had nice features, it just wasn't me either. Similarly, I've discovered that, while I remain a Fender guy, I'm not much of a G&L guy, either. Figure that one out. :)

Basically, it boiled down to a Lakland 55-xx or a Tobias Growler, 'cause I wanted some of the MM's capabilities, but with a different suite of tones. However, since the Growler is way overpriced considering Gibson's current build quality, the choice was a no brainer. Besides, I just HAD to see what the Lakland buzz was about... remember, I'd never even touched one before.

BTW, the Gibson thing is a whole other thread which I do NOT want to restart here (yes, it existed, but got off on a Mike Tobias "selling out" thing and got so nasty it got shut down).

However, while the Gibson Tobias' don't really suck (checked out a Killer B recently), I also don't think they're worthy of their current price tag by a fair margin. Still kickin' myself, 'cause there was a super sweet cherry burst Growler 5 someone blew out for 600. Dammitt.