1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New (?) Lakland 55-94 - Bass Central

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChetChetney, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Ok, so I purchased a brand new Lakland 55-94 Deluxe from Bass Central in April 2012. First off, I love the thing, it is an awesome instrument.

But, I came to realize something while researching Lakland serial numbers and their associated production years. My 55-94, purchased new in April 2012, has a serial number that ties the production of the bass to 2008. Is this a bit weird? It was 4 years old when I bought it for full price.

For the record, I'm not upset with Bass Central, as they were great to work with. I do wush they would have told me that the bass was 4 years old though.

I feel as if I bought a somewhat used bass, especially if it sat in Bass Central for 3.5 years. Although, this bass was made pre-Hanson acquisition of Lakland, while Dan was still in charge. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but does anybody have any thoughts?

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'll bet it would be more accurate to call it new-old-stock, which can actually cost more than current stock. From what I remember of Bass Central, their floor inventory is small compared to what is still in boxes in the back. While they probably should have mentioned that it has been on the shelf for a while, I'm not sure it is fair to call it used.

3. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City

Yes, Grasshopper, whos works at Bass Central, told me that they keep the US Lakland in their cases in the back. That makes me happy. Also, you are right, my bass is not used at all, and I should not have worded it that way. But again, I wish I was told that the bass was 4 years old before I purchased it. And I doubt if my 2008 bass is more valuable than a 2012 55-94.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    More valuable? Of course not. But, because of the sale of the company, yours is a pre- something. And nothing is ever as good as it used to be, right? Often NOS stuff that is pre-buyout can command a higher sale price.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I don't see any issue there at all, it's very common for instruments to be in stock a long time, which in no way makes them used.

6. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Good point, I am trying to justify not being mad about my situation. This helps, and the fact that the bass is flawless, its just 4 years older than I thought.

7. jangalang

jangalang

Oct 5, 2008
    I just received a 55-02 ltd ed Deluxe yesterday from Vintage in Chicago the serial # started with 11xxxx I was feeling the same way but was told the neck was made then but it was put together in 2012. I thought I'd been bamboozled. I did have to tweak the truss and now I'm a happy Lakland owner.

8. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Interesting... Although, I talked to a Lakland tech; he looked up my serial number and said that Bass Central probably had my bass for at least 2-3 years.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I totally forgot this but...I bought a Skyline in January 2012. I'm pretty sure the model was introduced in 2011 (44-60 custom), but it had a 2010 serial number. The hang/inspection tag indicated that it had only recently left Lakland, as did the shipping tags on the box.

There is no telling whether Bass Central had yours for a while or not. Time to stop worrying about the number and enjoy playing it!

10. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I enjoy playing alright, I'm just trying to figure out the history of my $3500 bass. Thanks for the input though.

11. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I bought my 4-94 used. The serial number stamped on the headstock is 245, so I guess mine is a fairly early one, most likely from the mid 90s.

12. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'd consider it a good thing. The wood is just that much older...

13. I can totally understand how you feel.

I live allllll the way in new zealand but i purchased my first lakland 55-02 from bass central and also later my ampeg rig.
    They were extremely helpful in every way and helping with shipping to me.
    The bass was 2006 serial when i bought it in 2008 though which was a little let down as i like brand spankin new things but i didnt feel compromised in quality.

However ive sold that bass and now own a custom made usa lakland which i am totally loving.

So, i totally understand but dont worry bout it if the bass is immaculate etc!

14. I understand where your coming from. The perception is that the company wasn't very forthcoming. I agree in that it should be listed as NOS and priced accordingly. Most manufacturers leave it in the hands of the specific businesses to alter pricing after its been sitting over a year ..typically a % drop .. My only suggestion would to have specd one from a seller that did not stock the bass...of course you then have a 6 month wait.. So is what it is... You got the bass you wanted and seem like you like it...Only thing you can do is perhaps send it back if its that concerning to you, and have one custom built.

At $3500 I would expect a little more... :meh:

15. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's been in the case and not on the shop floor.
    The 2 basses I've been most happy with, and probably will keep longer than the others, have both been sitting in the shop for 5 years. One in the case, the other on the shop floor. I had an excellent discount for the one which was on the shop floor though. Anyway, both have been perfect, no issues.
    The only issue I can think of is (maybe) resale price if I want to sell them later, but as I mentioned both are keepers.

16. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Maybe it cost less 3 years ago?

17. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Exactly! Does anyone know what a 2008 Lakland costs in 2008?

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I don't think list price has changed in that time, but I could be wrong. If it has, BC is generally good about selling old inventory at the old price.

Fortunately, the features haven't changed during that time frame. If I bought one expecting Hanson pickups and got Barts, I'd be fired up.

19. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I got Hanson pickups, but there is an issue with the neck pickup, and a Lakland tech said that that issue was updated in 2010. So that bothers me.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I stand corrected! According to Google, there was a price increase in January 2009. According to the wayback machine, prices on the 55-94 models went up by $400 from $4000 and $4500 to $4400 and $4900.

Prices on the BC site haen't changed much since 2009. In fact, the Deluxe price is down $40 from whatthey advertised back then. And all their adertised prices are equal to or more than you said you paid.