Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Lakland Daryl Jones 5 string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Wilson, Jan 2, 2005.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just got this recently from Steve Barr @ Vintage Bass.

I've been trying to find a jazz bass that's right for me for a good while. I wanted a quality instrument, but only need the jazz sound some of the time, so I didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on one.

I've played a Lakland DJ 4 string a lot over the last couple of months, and love it. Great low action, nice fat low end from the Aero pickups and it didn't look too shabby either. But I really need a 5'er most of the time these days, so I ordered one of these from Steve.

Here she is: DJ5 in Lake Placid Blue with Rosewood fretboard.
    I do love the finish on these basses, the sparkle is very slight and not overbearing like some other sparkle finishes I've seen. It has a great slap sound with both pickups on full, and a really nice finger tone when favoring the bridge pickup. The bass balances well and the neck is very comfortable.

Attached Files:

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads Dave, enjoy. :bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a great looking bass there. Those passive Laklands fives really interest me. I hope to check one out someday. Have good time playing it.

4. That is one sexy bass you've got there. I am gassing for a nice jazz such as that one.

5. Sweet! Great score, David. I played a 4-string version of that very bass, same color, and it was instant G.A.S. Amazing playability and tone.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Normally, I don't like dark fingerboards on blue basses, but that's a hot slab of wood!

7. Man that is just beautiful. :)

I've got a '70's Fender R.I. with the exact same colour/fingerboard scheme in the repair shop right now but that is giving me chronic gas. Is it 34" or 35" scale?

Curiously submitted,

um... yeah

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Nice! I didn't realize the DJ5's were available yet. Have Lakland's dealers just started receiving them?

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Fuggin schweet! I'd love a black sparkle with black pguard.

10. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, that's a nice one!

I got mine (also from Steve Barr) in black sparkle with the maple board. I really wanted black blocks, but it looks great with the pearl blocks as well. It also matches my '76 Fender jazz that is black with maple and pearl blocks. I like the rosewood boards with the pearl blocks, but I really wanted maple. Mine will get Torted pretty soon....

I got mine on 12/21, I think it was one of the very first batch to ship out. They are now available, but in limited supply at this point.

Attached Files:

11. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The DJ5 is passive with Aero pickups. As an option, you can get a J-Retro installed. I play mine through an Aguilar DB924.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    how much was that DJ5?

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Todd said, they're just starting to ship out. I had pre-ordered one from Steve, and got it drop-shipped from Lakland.

I originally wanted the black/rosewood DJ5, but after seeing the LPB DJ4 I changed my order.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think list is around $1600-$1700.

Depending on the dealer, you should be able to get one shipped with OSHC for around $1200. I can recommend Steve Barr @ Vintage Bass, I've never had any issues with him and he was great to work with throughout the whole process

15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I saw a used DJ 4 in Mint condition for 800 bucks shipped with a case. Any thoughts? What is this bass comparable to tone wise? It is a beautiful bass but I need a good clear low end bass!

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    $800 shipped for that DJ4 sounds like a reasonable deal. It's on the high end of the prices I've seen, but not hugely so.
    Tone wise, it's got a 70's J sound. Great slap sound, and the Aero pickups have a nice fat (but not indistinct) low end.

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Todd, your DJ5 is sharp! I'm also digging the 924. It's a cool box.

Will

18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Looks very sweet! Both yours and David's LPB DJ5. How about a review regarding tone, feel, weight, comparisons etc? Would love to know more. Also curious how these compare with the Joe Osborn 5's. Please share more info when you can. Congrats again! Beautiful bass!

19. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Slap bass huh? Not good for deep finger plucking blues? What would be the best Lakland for vintage bass tones?

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, it's good for that too. I was just commenting on that I think it's got a great slap tone. The fingertone is very good too.
    The Joe Osborn is more the 60's J vibe, if that's what you're after. The JO's are great basses too, the DJ was just more what I wanted.