Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Lakland "Hornet" Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dude, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I dig those pickups, uberly.. Is there anywhere to purchase individual pickups of that nature?

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes off the website linked above.

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    One word: UGLY

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

LOL..to each their own but I must say I find it funny that this would come from a guy with a "Bukeye Burl/Ash" bass.

ps: It's spelled "Buckeye"

:spit:

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think the first prototype should be green :D ...

... :bag:

8. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Don't buy one then, I think its a cool concept better than cookie cutting someone elses idea.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Smakbass said.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I like it!

Green would be sweet.

Marshall

11. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    kind of looks like a solid body alternitive foor the hollowbody for all those "retro" lovers. i dig the design, not sure if the sound will be for me. but i like the design.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Actually the whole idea came from just that thought but there are some design issues that make these pickups not easily compatible with the Lakland Hollowbody (string spacing and pickup height). The necks on these Hornets will be the same as the Lakland Hollowbody since they have the truss rod adjustment at the neck. The bodies on these will be quite a bit smaller than the Hollowbody (more the size of a Gibson SG).

There is one person attempting to retrofit a set of Dark Stars into a Lakland Hollowbody now.

I sent Dan my EB-3L fitted with dual Dark Stars last week and well...long story short...he's not giving it back!! :crying:

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Seeing as how Geezer Butler has become so enamored with Laklands recently and was photographed with a hollowbody for the covers, could we be seeing the beginnings of a new signature model?

Just an idea that popped into my head, is all.

14. i think lakland has done quite well for themselves "cookie cutting" someone else's ideas. ultimately it's about whether they build a good bass, not where the inspiration for the good bass came from.

robb.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

He's back.....

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Will it have a pickgaurd? I think that would really be rockin with one and a control plate.

17. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Hey, if you don't like opinions, don't post.

By the way, thanks for catching my keyboarding error, I do know how to spell.

18. Aren't Gibson SG bodies really small? I'm just wondering how a 34 in. scale length would be on a small body like that (in terms of neck dive). Then again, it looks pretty well proportioned in the drawing.

By the way, I really like the design.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Interesting, but I have to admit, I'm not too crazy about the shape. Is it ugly? Nah, just not for me. I hope it works out. I like Dan, because does venture out sometimes, and he gives his customers what they want.