New Lakland on the way to ..... me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Ok, I KNOW I stated awhile back that after I got the Spector I would never need another bass .... but I lied.

55-02, Black with maple board

I'll post "real" pics once the truck arrives.

hmmm, how to avoid the wife for a few days .......

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nice! Ive wanted to try a Lakland for a while but Im avoiding gas at all costs. :bassist:
  3. Then its not GAS!

4. Don't feel bad. I stop posting my basses because I was changing them almost as often as I was changing my under wear.

Enjoy it! I have the black 5501 like the one you have and I had the tuners changed to the 11/16 peg HipShots. Had to be drilled a bit but it makes me even more attached to it now for some reason.

Welcome to this revolving bass thing.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    must...not...give in! :p Thats a nice Lakland though. Noone around here carries them and thats probably the main reason I dont have one already. I like the maple board a lot.
  6. Well in my own defense I DID fight the GAS enough not to buy a US Lakland

some consolation, but the wife bought it, hahahahah.

(the lame rationalization, not the bass)
  7. YEA! It's here!

Pics later :spit:
  8. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

I'm VERY curious to know how you like that thing, and how it compares to your Spectors. I have been a Spector guy for 15 years and that is the EXACT bass I have been looking at, Black 55-02 w/Maple board, for a few weeks now. Just not sure if it's going to be something I like, and because of my location I have to buy it sight unseen, but it's the only non-Spector to give me serious (and relatively curable) GAS in a long time.
    I play mainly 4 & 5 Czech and USA Spectors, all w/OBP-1's and I am very interested to hear what you think about this bass, since I know you also have a Spector or two :D
  9. Well you are in the exact same place I was in ... so yes, I will let you know. Giving her a run through tonight (not full band) so I should have some thoughts later on.

I'll tell you this though ... holding it right now, it blows the doors off my Korean Spector (fit and finish wise). It really feels like the US Laklands I played in town (they didn't have any 55-02's). Its just beautiful, and the neck ... the neck is the thing that made me decide to buy. The finished necks on my Spectors bother me sometimes - they tend to get sticky. So ..... more later.
  10. Just jammed for 3 hours with my guitar player, and I'm completely blown away by this bass. I was jamming alone for a bit and he commented on how rich it sounded. Then when we played together, the mix with the guitar was just incredible. He plays a USA Hamer with P90's through a JCM900. I mean we just both looked at each other and smiled.

The neck is the best, fastest, and most comfortable I have ever played. And I can't figure out why, but it seems much easier to play towards the nut than my Spector, even though both are 35" scale.

The sound is completely incredible and flexible. This is really the first bass I've ever owned that I enjoy changing the pickups on - the neck pickup is amazing on its own, and blended the two pups sound great.

Ok I could go on and on about my new baby .... but I 'll just say that I now believe everything I've heard about Laklands, especially the love of the B string!

And I still love my Spector too :D

Oh yea HarderMan - the Bartolini pups and preamp in this bass is a completely different animal than the OBP-1's - much more articulate and cleaner I would say. One thing I've always kind of not liked about the OBP-1 is the boost only - it seems almost too hot for me at times. The Bart system is much more flexible I think - but its also a completely different sound. I like the aggressiveness of my Spector too - right now I feel like I have the best of two worlds. If you have anything specific you want to know, I'll help if I can ... even though the Lakland is new to me.
  11. Just tell your wife(when it arrives) that it musta dropped it off at the wrong house,and post up signs saying "lost Lakland" and when no one claims it...just keep it:D
  12. ???

Its here

She's seen it and heard it

She thinks its "a classic"
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Congrats Sanctum. Sweet bass you got there. I agree on the Lakland being easier to play near the nut than the Spector, even though they are both 35" scales. I think it has something to do with the way the bass hangs, and the body shape. The Lakland just seems to "fit" better.
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yet another satisfied Lakland owner!

I luv my S55-94, it just plays itself, and so have all the 55-02's I've played.

...and of course, you know the drill:

15. yea well i was going to post them last night, but the place i get my film developed decided to upgrade its equipment this week, so I'll snap some digital photos this evening.

Gard, its not like you don't know what it looks like, it came from your store, heh. If fact you probably took the pic above from the BC site, hehe.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah...I know...but you gotta put YOUR pics up, right? ;)

Besides, I am not really sure if that is YOUR bass in that pic...does your bass have the cloverleaf tuners??? If so, then that is a different bass...

17. You are correct sir! Not my bass!!!! Ahhhhhhh!

Will post REAL pics :)
  18. safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    Good luck Laklands rule! I have a Deluxe Cherry 55-02 and ...... a Deluxe natural Fretless 44-02 in transit as we speak cant wait! I love my 55-02!
  19. BTW, I really like the strings that came on the bass - custom made Lakland GHS strings from what I understand. Interested to hear what you other owners string yours with - I use TI Powerbass strings on my Spectors.
  20. Here they come - my film camera takes better pics, so these digital ones will have to do until later.