New Lease on Life

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 26, 2014.

1. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I'll take a better picture tomorrow and post it

2. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    As promised better pics of my fretless G&L 2500 1997 vintage
    I'm the 2nd owner. Actives removed by me for a passive bass with full coil tapping. The blond is a freted one setup the same.
    Thanks for the thd.

Attached Files:

3. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    i enjoy them as long as i have lines on the board otherwise i might as well be lost at sea.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've never seen a finish like that before!

5. Nice, a 5er as well! This one belongs in that "Most Beautiful Basses" thread.

6. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    The only other one I've seen was a blue swril one. These are vary rare Or so I'm told.
    She plays and sounds as good as she looks.
    Thanks

7. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Purchased a fretless bass about 3 weeks ago, and it is a blast. Very fun to play and makes you think more about your intonation. Only thing is; I have to remember not to bend the strings, but to use vibrato...

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    If your groovin on Fretless check out a Pedulla Buzz bass.
    They are a unique fretless experience & sound.

9. bluesbasshound

bluesbasshound

Jan 31, 2006
    Florida
    I love playing fretless.
    It's so inhibiting for me and others!

Attached Files:

10. bluesbasshound

bluesbasshound

Jan 31, 2006
    Florida
    ....( un) inhibiting!

11. I love my MIM fretless. Lately, I have been playing it exclusively in my classic rock band. No one has ever noticed or said: "Hey, is that a fretless?" so I guess I must be doing something right.

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Those "bowling ball" finishes are cool! :cool:

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I like fretless. I play some fretted and some fretless, depending on how I want to sound.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    If anyone is looking for a new lease on life,
    I have a cool fretless Jazz in the classifieds......

I think my lease is up.....

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have been using my MIM Jazz for Urban Gospel, and I have not skipped a beat!

16. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Hahaha.
    One church I play at has a rocker WL who used to complain about the tone of my lined PentaBuzz and he would walk over and try twisting knobs to get this fat middy sound like his P bass and I'd play it up on the fingerboard and on the neck pickup and finally one rehearsal this Brazilian guy showed up to check us out and audition later and called rocker boy over and asked him why I wasn't playing on the bridge because it was Fretless. WL walked over nonchalantly after the next song and asked why I wasn't playing up on the bridge and then ran his fingers across the lines and then got a dumb smile on his face. I just smiled and said... I did until you kept messing up my EQ. He had no clue I was playing Fretless. He would always say, no doodling, play simple, you're not playing guitar. He's never REALLY heard me PLAY! Lol. The other church I play at, I play what I want, when I want and no one says anything and I play my ThunderBolt 6 fretted there too quite often.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I spent about 4 years playing nothing BUT fretless - I realized that the only way to get good at it was just PLAY it, so I did. And frankly, I never felt like I was that... good. I always felt a bit behind the curve, if you follow. So I went back to playing 90% fretted, where I can happily slap/pop/etc.

A month or so ago, I had my iTunes on shuffle and a recording came on from CD I did about 5 years ago, playing fretless -and I sounded GREAT. I was stunned - I recall listening to the recording when it was finished and being underwhelmed, but listening to it after some time, I really did the job - intonation / expression were really nice - and there IS something so... soulful about fretless playing... so I'm making a point of practicing fretless at least a bit every time I pick up my other basses.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know you were in church, but I would have been seriously tempted to cuss the WL out!

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It sounds like you are real pro in that you notice shortcomings first instead constantly patting yourself on the back.

20. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure if I'm a real pro, but I always feel like I kind of suck! - keeps me honest, I suppose!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021