1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New LeCompte fretless STSS-5 arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L-1329, Jan 4, 2007.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    So today this showed up on my doorstep, LeCompte #32 STSS-5 fretless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A full pic spread can be found on Bud's site here: http://www.lecomptebass.com/stss5/

This is my first fretless, and man is it a good one! It's a black limba body, figured maple top with a 1/4" layer of african ebony in between. The neck is a five piece maple/wenge, and the headstock mirrors the body with a maple top, black limba back and a thin layer of ebony under the front face. The maple top and headstock are dyed black. The colors are darker than the pictures show, and it looks absolutely amazing in person. The pickups are Nordstrand NJ5Ssplit coil jazz's, and it has a three band Audere preamp. Controls are volume, blend, mids, treb/bass stack, and the mini toggles are active bypass, Z-mode, and mid band selector. This bass has a very big, powerful tone that sustains for days! It is also very versatile and can get a wide range of usable tones, especially with the Z-mode. That is a cool feature that gives three distinct characteristics to the bass. Bud did a fantastic job building this bass, and the construction quality is unbeatable. It even surpasses the fretted STSS5 he built for me, which is no small feat! The bass is nice and light, plays extremely well, looks jaw-dropping amazing, and has a voice to back up it's looks. It really is the best bass I've ever played, and I couldn't be any happier with how it turned out.:cool:

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Sweet......just sweet!!!!!!!!

3. To tell you the truth, Ive been kinda bored with the upper scale basses. Its like, whats next? I can honestly say, your Lecompte is gorgeous. THats one of nicest sticks Ive seen in a while. Beautiful work Bud.

4. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    that is an amazing looking bass, if it plays half as well as it looks then it was worth every penny imo.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Man, that is one nice looking bass! All of Bud's basses look so good, yet still very playable.

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Well good I'm so glad you got your new bass ... and a stunning one it is!

:) ... That's one more out of the way ... So he can work on MINE! ... :D

7. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    It sure does, and was worth every cent and more. The playability of my fretted STSS was so good I knew my fretless had to be the same design and neck. One of the best things about the STSS is it is such a functional, and comfortable design. It's the total package.:cool:

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I swear to God, most of these high-end basses look like really expensive furniture. Just the whole construction and look of them make them scream "classy".

9. wow Bud strikes again
    I was floored with that headless with the bendwell
    and now this beauty!!!!!!!!!!!amazing craftsmanship
    but how does it sound???

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Thanks folks and thanks Mr. L for giving me the opportunity to build that bass for you. Fun stuff!

11. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well, I will have a better description once I've had some time to play with it and learn the tones. One thing I can say is that it sounds very clear and full, a very well rounded but powerful tone. The Audere pre Z-mode switch really gives some different voices, and I am still learning it and what works. The Z-mode can be clear and bright, or nice and warm, and more acoustic-y too. Cool feature! It is a versatile bass, not a one trick pony by any means. Great setup and action, gets some nice mwaa, and sustains for days! I think the overall combination of woods and electrics works great together, and I need some time to really experiment with it all and feel it out.:cool:

12. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    [​IMG]

Those Long Pointy Horns remind me of the Ibanez Iceman...

13. What is the Z-Mode??

14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So my bass had yet ANOTHER sibling born! Cool! I have #6.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, that's REALLY sharp!

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    That one's for me, almost done!!!:bassist: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

18. Bud, your work is amazing.

lowsound

19. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Actually your's was one of the basses that turned me on to LeCompte's work, #6 and that metallic orange STSS-4. After seeing those I was hooked!

Since this came back up, just as an update I have been finally able to put some time into this bass, and one thing I've found is that the best tone I get is with the Audere in bypass. The bass' natural tone is excellent! The Pre adds a lot of versatility, but it has some hiss to it and seems much more colored than an OBP-, which I kind of think would have worked better in this bass due to it's dead flat response and quiter operation. I'm also learning that getting some good mwah comes mainly from technique, which I still have a lot to learn. It is a very clear, deep, and defined tone, and really has a lot of sustain. That's probably due to an ebony and maple top, at least that's my guess. Anyway, I really enjoy this bass, and it's been very inspiring to become a better player. And, just for kicks, here's a pic of the twins.:cool:

[​IMG]

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Wow, beautiful! Can't beat a dyed black maple top IMO!