New LeCompte ST-4 is home!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Oct 15, 2005.

Fit and Finish: This thing is simply amazing, it just oozes luxury and attention to detail. There are no rough spots anywhere on the neck, and it just feels like silk! The fretwork has no sharp edges anywhere, and there are no deadspots on the neck.

Playability: What would a bass be without great playability?The action was real low when it arrived at my door (just the way I like it!) and it plays like a dream. I asked Bud to make the neck in the oval shape of the MTD's and Fodera's I had played. The neck has a great taper to it, and you can really feel it get flatter as you move up the board, once your above the 12th fret it's almost totally flat. It just feels great under your hands.

Tone: This thing has tone for days! The Nordstrand quad coil and Bartolini 3 band EQ are a great combo. It has a lot of great usable sounds. The coolest part is the coil tapping switch, you have a series mode, a parallel mode, and a bridge only mode. The bridge is a cool setting, you kinda get that Jaco tone. Series mode is really hot, the bass becomes really obnoxious at that point which I really like. The setting I find myself on the most however is the parallel mode. It's just enough to make yourself noticed but it sits well in the mix. Probably my favorite part of this bass is how unique it sounds, its bright and it just has this fantastically unique tone. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever played before!

To sum it up...10 out of 10!!!

Here are the specs.
    34 in. scale
    Cocobolo top
    Ash body
    Birdseye fretboard
    Maple neck
    Spalted maple wood "pickguard"
    Nordstrand quad coil MM pickup
    Bartolini 3 band EQ
  2. Scroll down on that link for pics of my bass.... :p
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Very beautiful, I love Bud's basses!
  4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm jealous.....the ST-4 ROCKS!!
  5. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Very nice and quite unique!
  6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Glad you like it! :D I really love the tone too. I might ad that you can roll the brightness out of the tone with the eq and get a really warm tone too. Carey Nordstrand really has something going on with this model of pickup. I'd like to know what kind of magic dust he uses. This is the second bass I've put one in. They both sound great. The pickup is so harmonically pure. Hard to explain.
  7. Yeah this is definitely a really nice bass. Im still playing around with the EQ finding what I can do with it. It really works well in the band I play in, we're kind of a funk jam band outfit, it works perfectly
  8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    It´s really beautiful. Glad to read you received such a beautiful bass. Besides cocobolo remains as my fav top wood, looks terrific in your bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it and Enjoy ! :bassist:
  10. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cocobolo and Spalted Maple, two of my favourite woods and some of Carey Nordstrand's magic. NICE!

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Congratulations! Love that top. Would love to hear a clip. Im waiting on my VB5. Pics in the " in progress" luthiers corner.
  12. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'd love to hear a clip too - I'm very interested in the Nordstrand quad coil.
  13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    love the inlayed guard
  14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Very cool. Congrats, Fret-less; great job, Budman!