New Led Zeppelin DVD!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fake Trees, May 26, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    For all that don't know, tomorrow (May 27) the "new" Led Zeppelin 2-DVD set is comming out!!! It features live sets from a number of concerts before and after "The song remains the same". I already pre-orderd this a while ago and im picking it up tomorrow after school! Is anyone as stoked as i am?

:bassist: :bassist:

By the way, if anyone wants me to write a review for it i will after having watched the whole thing.
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm picking it up from my work tommorow. I can't wait 'till school gets out tommorow.
  3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'll be picking up my copy after work today!!
  4. Having bought the Song Remains the Same and being slightly disappointed, I'm looking forward to this one! :D
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Got mine yesterday! :D (It came out on the 26th here in the UK). It is HOT, HOT, HOT! This thing sets the standard for music DVDs (along with Herbie Hancock's latest DVD).

I haven't had time to watch much of it yet, but what I have seen is great - even the menu backgrounds show rare footage and audio.

A few of my personal highlights from what I have seen so far:

- 'Since I've Been Loving You' from Madison Square Garden '73 - some heartbreaking blues guitar.

- Nice version of 'Going to California' from Earls Court '75

- JPJ getting funky on the clavinet on 'Trampled Underfoot' - Earls Court '75

- Great version of 'Achilles Last Stand' from Knebworth '79.

- Some decent shots of JPJ riffin' on the Alembic 8-string on the Knebworth footage.
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just got done watching most of the first disc and then I watched "Stairway" for the hell of it.

All I have to say is...WOW!!! I don't think the sound system in my garage has ever sounded this good. "Moby Dick" was a head trip and a half with the drums going through all five speakers and such. I can't wait to watch disc 2 tommorow.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What I've seen so far(Disc 2 of the DVD set) looks very, very good to me...

I'm still working on those Cosey discs(WOW, is all I can say). Thanks again!
  8. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    Its awsome, my peronal favorites (first viewing):

Since I've been loving you- amazing guitar, great song

The Ocean- This is one of my favorite Zep songs and this live verion is just awsome

What is and what should never be- yeah...

Immigrant song- Full of energy

Going to California- really good rendition.

This DVD is the best music DVD i've ever seen
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For any of the young'uns here who want to learn how to play the bass geetar, run out and buy the 2 DVD/3 CD Zeppelin releases that came out this week. It will the best $45.00 you'll ever spend in furthering your education of great music, improvisation, dynamics, passion, creativity, and musicianship!
    :D :bassist:
  10. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    How does it compare to this DVD???
  11. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    There is absolutely NO comparison in any way, shape, or form. First, TRRTS DVD is just straight transfer from the movie, which is over 25 years old. The footage wasn't cleaned up, the audio wasn't enhanced or digitally remastered, nor are there any "extras" which one would expect on the DVD format. Further, you only get one performance (or, in fact, footage from a series of performances over a couple of days) from one distict period in the band's 12 year run. On top of that, while Led Zeppelin on an off night was still better than anything else, the MSG shows were shot at the end of a long tour and Plant's voice was not in proper shape. While The Song Remains the Same was a huge accomplishment for Led Zeppelin, helped to propel them to cultural icons, and was the only "official" live statement from the band for the decades, it is an inferrior piece from which to judge their impact and explosiveness as a live music act.

The new Zep DVD is intended to serve as a comprehensive retrospetive of the band's live performances, from start to finish, that Page has been aluding to for the better part of 20 years. You get crisp, clean, masterfully edited and diginally remastered audio/video from live performances from 1969 to 1979. You essentially get it all in one package, in DVD quality, with both the audio and video coming across completely clean and brilliant. If you've ever seen this footage via a bootleg source, you will FINALLY get to SEE it the way it was intended to be seen and heard. The MSG '73 previously unreleased footage will also blow your TSRTS DVD out of the water.

For a very reasonable price, you get the B&W Danish TV footage, French TV, Japansse promo, all of Royal Albert Hall '70, extra footage from The Song Remains the Same, the acoustic set from Earl's Court, the best tracks from Knebworth, footage from Australia '72, the Supershow '69 clip, etc, etc, etc. Even the menue options give you live audio and video previously unavailable and not included in the primary part of the DVD. The new Zeppelin DVD really is the new benchmark with which all music DVDs will be judged.
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's the biggest understatement I've ever heard!

Considering that most new release audio only CD's cost about $15 and are about one hour long, it totally blows me away that you can get 5:20 of audio AND video for only $17.99. This is A STEAL in my book.
  13. i got mine yestrday for 17$ at newberry comics in mass. i end up wacthing every thing but the extras. i wacthed one or two of them. its the greatist dvd. i never new jpj dressed so bad. but damm he can funk.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I must say Bonham is a lot better than I thought or remembered. ;)
    He's a monster!

Even the B&W footage in a 'controlled' studio kills...
  15. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Looks like I missed the fun, my wife said on Friday the Today Show had Robert, Jimmy and JPJ hawking the new DVD!

They didn't do any songs, but showed alot of the clips. Of course THE question came up about reforming the band and I found their answer interesting. The boys said they haven't found a drummer to match Bonham. Seems they were dead serious about that.

Hope some of the other TV shows will carry the boys, I for one would like to see them together again, even if it's just pushing the DVD!

Now it's off to pick up the DVD!!!

16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'll throw a link up for the NBC interview...nothing special (basically because Matt Laur asked worthless questions, etc.), but neat to see them all together. Jimmy was also on CNN with Wolf Blitzer, but I don't have a link for that clip yet.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I got both the DVD & the three C.D.! Like Jim mentioned John Bonham was like a freight train!!!! What a rhythm section:bassist: Way better than the drug induced 'The Song Remains The Same'.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's it...a freight train!

I got around to the '75 concert(Earl's Court).
    "Going To Cali" is great, "Trampled Underfoot" R-O-C-K-S! the end of "Stairway To Heaven"-
    Plant's tambourine 'playing' has nuthin on Davy Jones's mastery of that instrument. Sorry.
    And when the camera finally panned over to JPJ on the first, I thought it was Elton John. Whadda costume, eh?
  19. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Circuit City has a deal for both the DVD and CD for $30.00. You can't beat that.
    Both are incredible.
  20. I took the risk and went and bought the DVD and I was overjoyed! I was thinking that it was going to be like the Song Remains the Same, and it wasn't! SRtS just sucked, Plant was off, and they really didn't seem together. I think I'm gonna go watch some more of it right now!!!