NEW Led Zeppelin footage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DaftCat, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Bwaaahaaaaa!

I saw a lecture on PBS or something once with, I think, the guy who wrote the book and hosted the Nova series "The Elegant Universe".

Long story short.

He used that track as an example of how humans can see and hear things that aren't really there if they have an expectation that they are going to hear something.

- Dave
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Zepplin fans out there, but maybe Jimmy Page was messing around a little too much w/ the occult.
    Does he still live in Mr.Crowley's Castle?
  3. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I thought that was just a phase. Maybe wishful thinking...but it doesnt mean im any less of a zep head.
  4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
  5. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Amen brother. while i believe that there have been instances of subliminal messaging during rock'n'roll's history, and as a born again christian i have ethical and spiritual issues with backmasking, i just can't see it being as widespread an issue as people make it out to be. its amazing how many words sound like satan when you record someone's speech and play it backwards.

i still love zep's music... i recently picked up albums I - IV.
  6. RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    That's supposedly on Stairway To Heaven, right? I reversed the track, and listened to the whole thing. Nowhere did I find anything like that, and I've been told that the backwards thing of "here's to my sweet Satan" was fabricated, which I tend to believe. Does anyone know where in the song I should listen out for this?
  7. RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Never mind, I just found it! Hehe, pretty cool! :) Pretty sure that wasn't intentional on Zep's part, especially as the lyrics were (reportedly) written in 20 mins. And who the hell found that? Did they go through every Zeppelin song backwards, in detail? What a waste of time!
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    There are a lot of special interest groups out there with too much time on their hands. You seem to get the point that it would take an incredible amount of time to write a song saying anything backwards and make it make sense. Chistians have their zealots, just like Islamics and Jews and all the others. When I was a kid, in one church we attended, if you had long hair you were going to hell, if you listened to Rock and Roll you were going to hell, if you wore a peace sign (did you know it's a broken cross upside down?) you were going to hell. The list goes on, and it's just plain silly.
  9. Haha, thats funny when you think that in most paintings of Jesus, HE has long hair :smug:
  10. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I used to look up at the wall and wonder about that as a matter of fact.
  11. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Can't remember which album now but it was right before the song 'Judas Kiss' whatever record that was on. It was actually just recorded backwards since it was between songs. It was only on the vinyl rcord not on a cassette . Spun backwards on a record player it would say "why are you looking for the devil when should be looking for the Lord". It was also printed around the perimeter of the album cover in fine print.
    Kind of sarcasm from back when backmasking was getting media attention.
  12. WHOA!
  13. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

ah..somebody got it!
    damn, just like in the Beatles tune - I guess he's just trying to "get back to where he once belonged"

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But not if you were actually using Black Magic and like Jimmy Page, were an "adept".....? ;)