Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Les Claypool project...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Duke of Prunes, Jan 22, 2003.

1. This is from the news section at DannyCarey.org:

1.19.03 Today Danny heads for the Bay Area to begin a new recording project with Adrian Belew, (of King Crimson) and Les Claypool (of Primus). I can't wait to hear this one!

Les Claypool, Danny Carey, and Adrian Belew!
    Hopefully Les will get away from the hippy-jam stuff and move in a heavier direction with this one.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sweet! Personally though I liked the Oysterhead project.

This could go in many different directions.

brad cook

3. Wow! The quirk factor might get a bit out of control, though, but I'll still eagerly await any results. Claypool and Carey are both huge Crimheads, but without Fripp around I'm willing to bet that the results might be quite...buoyant.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Will it float?!

brad cook

5. Here's hoping. The new Crimson record promises to be Doom and Gloom of the utmost excellence.

6. I eagerly await the new King Crimson.
    The "Happy" EP was a tease.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Speaking of Crimso side projects...

have any of you heard the BPM&M CD (Mastellotto brainchild)? If so what do you think? I've enjoyed the samples that I heard at papabear records. Good music and funny too. The humor coming from recordings that Mastellotto mixes in of Fripp hilariously talking out of his a$$ as usual. The music was really good though...had an electronica feel but it's all made up of recordings from Crimso concerts and whatnot all remixed with beats added.

brad cook

8. That disc sounds cool... I'll have to pick that up some time. Another cd I'm interested in is the Rhythm Buddies' "Thunderbird Suite" which was just Trey and Pat. I'd like to hear some samples of that one.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, this one sounds fun but uhhh... just bring back Primus. Aparently Ler just isn't into it though, it's cool that he won't have Primus without Ler. But he needs to get off his ass and get it back together. I want to see Primus live before I die.

10. word matt.
    he could use the old-school primus lineup: les, tim alexander, and todd huth.
    i just wanna see him play with Herb, at least

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I wanted to add this interview with Adrian about the project (which is under Belew's name, so it's more his music with Danny and Les as featured musicians, than a true group).

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=3581

I read it a number of months ago, and I remember it having a black background, but I think it's the same thing that I read. I'm a huge fan of Tool, a casual fan of Primus, and relatively ignorant about Crimson. I've heard a little bit, but not enough to really get into them, or decide I don't like them. I'll have to hear more. This project will, most certainly, be insane. Or maybe just a huge let-down. You never know.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I completely agree. This one could go any which way. I think (i hope) that the end result is completely surprising, unpredictable and mind-blowing. Honetly I really just can't imagine what it's going to be like. If I had to guess I'd say that each song will have a character that points to who wrote it and sorta favor that person's style. Ideally though they will blend and mesh into something explosive.

brad cook

13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I love the Bucket of Bernie Brains stuff from Bonnaroo! Hopefully they will release a full recording of that. I hope Les keeps his pie-hole shut--dude can't sing worth a damn!:p

14. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

good stuff for sure....its pretty close the Praxis line-up without Laswell and the I.S.P.

I think the new project will be good as Belew writes good tunes, it may not be what anyone is expecting though. From the interview it sounds like their going to do more with it too and let the music take on a different shape. That will be sweet I think.