Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blink1829, May 12, 2001.

1. Hey everybody I'm a newbe and this is my first thread and I just want to say that I hope I can gain half the knowledge about basses that most of you guys have. Now onto the thread. Right now I have a GSR-200 Ibanez bass and I like it but it fells like it is missing something. I have been looking around and I almost bought a Schecter AB-1 (for REALLY cheap) but that deal fell through and now I'm looking at a Les Paul Bass and I just wanted your opinions on the subject so any responses are greatly appreciated. And how much of a difference is there between an Epiphone copy Les Paul and an original Gibson other than cost. Thanx!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do a search on this topic, and you will find a thread that includes my posts, which say things like, "Those Les Pauls are really great-looking basses" and, "They sure are a good-looking bass," etc. etc. etc.

3. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    I don't know what your Epi sounds like but a Gibson Les Paul bass has what's described as the "low to the ground sound" -- real bottomy, with very little treble content, but good note definition.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    They sound good unplugged, but I've never tried one plugged in.

5. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    John, I don't know which Les Paul bass you're talking about, but my Standard with the Bart preamp and TB plus pups is definitely capable of more tone than that.

6. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    All I know is what I hear. This belongs to a bass player I am occasionally asked to sub for: a Les Paul Standard bass thru a Musicman HD 130 bass head & a 4X10 Hartke cab. Maybe it's the way it's all set up -- but I'm not knocking it. It sounds great. Do you own stock in Gibson that you're afraid will lose value if someone describes their experience? I'm not sure what I said that arouses your ire. I play this rig, and it is bottomy. Live with it.

7. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    John, I don't own stock in Gibson being a dedicated Fender player but I have had this bass for over 6 years now. I have had my ups and downs with it, but it plays nicely and has a wide range of tones, including the low end you describe. I use it with a Hartke 3500 and Hartke 410 XL. You didn't arouse any ire at all, but your response seems awfully argumentative. When you said it had "very little treble content" I disagreed. Could be it's the player and not the bass.

8. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    Excuse me, Mr Jazzbass, guess I'm getting old and cranky. Of course an LP has a lot of tonal variation but to my ear it's more bottomy than a bass equipped with Jazz pickups. I have a Carvin LB20 with JB pups and to my ear the LP has the capability to play very low down, which my Carvin can't do. On the other hand, Mr C records better...
    But I apologize for my response. Your post did not merit such crabbiness.
    John

9. Hey everyone thanx for the comments I appreciate it very much and I decided to go buy one. But I still dont know what the main difference between a Gibson LP and Epiphone LP.

10. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    I guess the biggest difference is in the materials and electronics, I don't think the Epi Les is an active bass, I know the bridge is different. Go to www.gibson.com and check out the differences, Blink.

11. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    Then go to www.epiphone.com and look under legacy for the Epi Les, it's the difference between an $500 bass and a $1800 bass.