Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Life for Cirrus

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joeybcdt, Oct 28, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I bought a beater Cirrus off eBay a few months ago. Paid $167.50. That should be a hint of its condition. I wish I would've taken pictures but no. It had been painted twice, car paint, red, then black. Broken machine head, control and truss rod covers missing, preamp messed up, volume pot missing, fretts useless. The best part...it looks like it took a fall landing on the upper strap button taking a chunk of wood underneath the upper bout with it.

Turns out the bass is flame maple and purple heart.

Luckily we have an excellent luthier in my area named Jagneaux. He did the repairs, refrett and refinish for $200.00. I ordered the missing/broken parts from Peavey for about $45.00.

I get to finally pick it up today. I'm a little pumped up.

Joey

2. pics of both before and after!

3. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    No before picks. I could kick myself. After picks will be useless since it will just look like a fairly new Cirrus.

I will be interested in taking picks of the broken/missing wood area to show how he blends it in. I have a '66 Gibson Country Western that he had to glue a new peice of mahogany in the back of the neck. I'd be willing to bet that he and I are the only people that can see it.

Joey

4. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    OK. I was able to lift the original bay pics. Better than nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see how the upper strap button is in the wrong place. That's because the wood is missing in the right place.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    So, how is it now!!!! Don't you see people here in Europe can't hold on with anxiety???? C'mon, show us the refurbished pics!!!! Please!!!! Wake up!!!! It's 2PM here!!!! :)

ANDRUCA

6. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Here it is. The repair areas definately didn't dissapear. But I think he did a fine job considering what he had to work with. Steve and Hope at Peavey were great to deal with too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Damn cool for cheap money. Congrats!!!

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dang, great Cirrus! The guy(s) that abused and defaced this bass in the first place need to be shot... several times... :mad: