1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New life for my Randall 215

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foose4string, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. foose4string


    Feb 4, 2006
    I thought this Randall cab was ready for the junk heap(some of you may think it still is). The cab was rattling when I turned up to any large degree, sounded kinda muddy, dead, no punch at all, and not getting much volume. I've been having serious GAS for a new cab, but with getting a new recording interface, new Seagull electric/acoustic guitar, new electric NS fiddle, and of course a new Highway bass within the last two months, it's just not in the cards right now. So I decided to see what I could do to salvage this hunk of particle board. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    I thought of maybe modifying the speaker arrangement, taking away a 15 and adding a 10 or two, but that was a risky proposition. After doing much reading here and various other cabinet building sites, I realized two things. A sealed cabinet,which this supposedly was, had to be sealed to work correctly. The other thing is that the cabinet needed to be rigid. It didn't take long to see that this Randall box was in serious violation of both.

    The jack plate seemed like it was physically buzzing and didn't have a gasket or anything sealing the perimeter of the plate. It allowed air to escape and contributed to the buzz. Also, putting my hand against the back of the enclosure I could tell that the back of the cab had quite a bit of vibration. Those 15" were really giving the particle board a serious workout back there.

    To cure the jack plate, I just used some weather stripping I had laying around and sealed the plate with it. Good there, no air escaping now.

    While I had the jack plate off, I noticed it didn't have front to back bracing. I remember what I had read about bracing the front baffle to the back of an enclosure. After measuring inside depth, I fired up the mitre saw and cut a 1 x 1 to length. The area on the front baffle between the two speakers seemed like a potential weak spot and as good place as any for the brace. Not to mention, it was almost dead center on the enclosure. I wedged it in there. It reminded me of setting the soundpost on a violin, and actually not a bad comparison once I thought about it.

    That was it, that was all she needed. While still not the greatest enclosure and speakers in the world, the difference was amazing. Added punch and clarity that this cab had not seen in quite some time(if ever). Not to mention, my seemingly underpowered GK head is enjoying the new efficiency of this cab and really putting out. I still want more watts and some tens, but I think I can wait a while longer now. :bassist: :D