1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Life into Fender Jazz FMT - Thanks Sadowsky!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    With two NYC Sadowsky basses in da house I really have a gas for that Sadowsky sound. I had been tossing around the idea of picking up a used Sadowsky Metro Standard 4 to have as a backup to my '88 NYC Sadowsky Standard 4. The problem since money is tight these days, I would have to unload a bass....which would be my Fender America Jazz Deluxe FMT. Well I just can't do it. I love that Fender and it is a strikingly beautiful bass. But....the sound of it just is not what it used to be. Guess I am too use to hearing my Sadowsky's.

So solution......pull out the 18V Fender preamp and pop in a Sadowsky preamp. I checked with Roger Sadowsky to see if there would be any issues using it with the stock Fender Noiseless pickups, in which he said go for it! So I did!

So Kevin Kaufman over at Palm Beach Guitars did the install which was pretty straight forward. Got the bass going tonight.

WOW!! What a difference! Without a doubt there is new life in this bass! The tone is a bit different then my two Sadowsky basses, most likely due to they are Swamp Ash the Fender is Alder....plus the Fender pickup. But aside that, it DOES have that Sadowsky sound. I am overwhelmingly pleased with the results!

Thank you Roger Sadowsky for making such great products!

Here is the bass I energized....as you can see she is a beauty! Why Fender discontinued them is beyond me??

ken_fmtjazz.

I can't wait to run to try it a two gigs on Saturday!

2. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    That is a beautiful bass! :) If Fender kept making these that would be the ONLY Fender I would own.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Well got to use my "reborn" bass over the weekend. WOW it kicked butt! Big difference from stock Fender preamp. Much punchier, nicer sounding bottom end and tons of headroom! It will make a great backup to my main bass which is a 1988 NYC Sadowsky. I'll post live clips from this weekend soon.....

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sweet bass!!! Sadowsky preamp is killer!!!