1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Lightwave Owner Need String Input!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I've been using the search button!! I was hoping to find the latest up to the minute info :smug: I have a 5 string Saber, fretted model. (My first 5 string by the way) Thanks again to reasonbass here on TB for a great deal.

I mainly play hard rock and own other basses for that sound. I bought the Lightwave mainly due to my interest in the Opto/Piezo pickups and I'm looking for strings that will make the most of that system. I don't slap much and I have other guitars for that anyway. I'm not looking for an upright sound but if I end up with more of a Jazzy sound than my BC Rich, Hotrodded P bass or MMSR provides would be cool :cool:

Any and all input, ideas thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

2. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    get some rotosound swing bass flatwounds, they cost about 35 bucks and will make a lightwave brighter and jazzier than regular roundwounds would do for it. i recently bought a zon with lightwave and magnetic pickup and i swear to everyone here on tb, it is the most vivid sound ever of any bass.
    so, i know that they sound good on lightwave pickups.
    :bassist: :bassist:

3. Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in the first post that on two Lightwaves I played, they both had roundwound strings. For some reason the pickups seem pickup a lot of finger noise with them. I can reduce that with the EQ and amp settings but that cuts into the overall sound. I was thinking a flatwound string would be better in that regard.

One thing that really impresses me so far with the Lightwave is the ability and sound I get when bending strings. It's almost like a guitar. I can get that frettless vibrato sound by doing it. I hope that description makes sense.:confused: I'm not a fretless player :eyebrow:

4. I just looked at the Rotosound site. The Swing Bass Strings are roundwound. Did you mean the Jazz Bass 77's?? They seem to be the only flatwounds that would seem right.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could also go with some Rotosound nylon tapewounds.

6. If I had a Lightwave bass I would look for a set of Thomastik-Infeld nylon core acoustic bass guitar strings. They don't have any magnetic output, so you can't use them with magnetic pickups. They sound fantastic with piezos and I'm sure they would be amazing with the Lightwave system.

7. OK, get ready to laugh. I had a few hours to kill today and went to GC and my other local music store looking for the strings mentioned in this thread!!! :D :rolleyes: :rollno: