1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new lightweight p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themass, Mar 10, 2010.

1. themass

themass

Feb 13, 2010
    NH
    Are there any consistently lightweight (around 7.5lbs) p-basses being made right now? Doesn't have to be fender necessarily, but less than $1500. I've been looking but haven't found anything besides those old p-bass lytes.

2. Build your own. If you want lightweight, that's the way to go. I'm always on the search for lightweight basses, but I've come to the conclusion that's the way to go. Other than that, you can try a Sadowsky NYC P bass which could most likely be in the 7-8 lb. or so range. I have a Fender Lyte though, and it's the bass I play most often. Had to change out the electronics and made it passive, but it rocks now.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Chambered body from warmoth and neck from USACG should be able to get you there.

Lightweight tuners, too.

4. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    As you know Pat that is what i am doing w/ my Mighty Mite project P.... so you are right........again...... :)

5. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Yep! Mine is 8,05 lbs. but definitely it's NOT in the 1500 bucks range!

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I had an '08 Highway One that I swear must have been made out of balsa. It was so light, if you dropped it it kind of hung in the air for a second before slowly rocking back and forth towards the floor.

Seriously, it was ash, maple and rosewood neck and it sounded, looked and smelled like a P. If may have to do with the thinner neck and badass bridge. I don't think the thin finish would mean to much to the weight, but the neck was closer to the thinness of a Ric.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Try www.guitarmill.com and opt for a Paulownia body. Super light weight, very close to alder in tone.

Be very conscious that you don't make the body "too light", or you'll have to deal with neck dive. Don't get a Warmoth neck, for instance...they tend to be pretty heavy (though great quality) and will be tougher to balance out with a super light body. Use Hipshot Ultralight Keys and bridge, etc..

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Some of the new Fenders and Squiers are really light. Might be something you have to check out in person though to be satisfied.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020