Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Linc Luthier Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveAceofBass, Apr 20, 2004.

1. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there everybody!!! Just wanted you all to know I'm getting a new Linc Luthier 5 string Impression bass. It's being made now. I already have a 6 string Luthier bass (maple and bubinga with purple and zebra neck). The new one is gonna be made of Cocobolo and Walnut, with a Flame Maple and Wenge neck, I'll give more details on that later. Pickups will be Barts (either the W2s or the quad coils--suggestions?) with the RMC piezo bridge and Hybrid B preamp. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
    Dave

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    :eek: is that an abalone medallion in the headstock?? Wow...
    Looks like a real sweet bass...
    As for pickups - your choice of woods kinda lead to a really warm sounding bass if I'm not mistaken. You might wanna check out the NS dual coils if you wanna more modern tone, but if you're looking for that big vintage sound, then the NS fatstacks or NJ5s would be a good choice as well :)
    The smith preamp might be a good choice for those pickups :D

Edited: BTW - I just checked out their website. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but what's with the patented neck design? Does it really work? Anyone with soundclips of this beauty??

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Dave

Congrats man, the Linc are really nice basses. I like them as fretless instruments more then fretted, but super cool. I think you will enjoy it! I've had a few come through the shop and have always been pleased.

Look forward to seeing pics of what you get!

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i LOVE Linc instruments.

they almost play themselves.

i want one.

congrats!

f

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How does anyone here feel about the feel of the neck on these? The V-shape is pretty unusual.

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    those are some of the most unique instruments out there. i've never seen one in person, and in fact was wondering if that company was still around awhile ago (very glad to see they are- it's good to see people deviating from the fender style (successfully) every now and then - not that i don't like the fender style ;) )

7. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for replying guys. I already own a Linc Luthier custom 6-string, but this one will be newer and a different model and woods. If you know these basses, Linc Hoke makes one with bracing (the Impression Bass) and one that is thinner with no internal bracing (the Luthier Bass). My six is a custom Luthier Bass and the new one will be custom five-string Impression bass. To the comment about the warm tone of the woods chosen, my six is much brighter than most basses, and I think the new five string will be bright as well, no matter the choice of the woods. The sides and bracing is actually probably the thickest part of the bass. You should see some of his pics online at www.lincluthier.com. Also, there is going to be the RMC Pow'r Bass piezo saddles and Hybrid B preamp/buffer, so it will be bright. The wenge and flame maple neck should sound pretty punchy with the ebony fingerboard. Remember it's a layered pattern on the neck, and with the rounded V-shaped neck, it exposes the grains in a pretty unique way. It's a very strong method of making a neck, and Linc has a patent on the way he makes the neck, he also has a patent on the bracing in the Impression bass. So Nordstrand pickups sound good? Linc uses Bartolini, and I have Bartolini in my Modulus basses and I really dig them, perhaps more than the Lane Poor pickups in my 6-string. That's why I wonder if you guys have ever compared the W2 five-string pickups with the quad-cois. Which ones do you like better? If there were more room I might want something like a Smith preamp, or perhaps a J-Retro, but I doubt there is room to have that in this bass, being as it is semi-hollow. Does anyone know if the J-Retro can work with a piezo bridge? I that you get used to the V-shaped neck and it feels amazing. :bassist:

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Linc good instruments make. Yoda.

9. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    After going through the different lightwave threads, perhaps you might wanna consider putting a system 2 on it :D You might wanna run it by fhodshon tho - he seems to be an expert on it :D

10. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey Rusty,
    I don't think there is any room for a lightwave pickup system. This instrument is a semi-hollow design with bracing, so there just isn't room to have that in there. :crying: If I could I'd add an Aguilar OBP-3 or a U-Retro onboard for EQ, but there probably is only gonna be just enough room for the RMC Hybrid B buffer circuit. Controls will be Volume, Mag Blend, Piezo/Mag Blend, and Tone. If possible the EQ will be added, but I highly doubt Linc will have room for it. Oh well, guess I'll use my J-Retro Stompbox for EQ, or just run into the passive input and use the preamp on my Aguilar DB359. Lower output, but the great sound is there. :smug: I'll keep you guys posted on how it comes out.
    Dave :bassist:

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Aww, that's a pity. It sounded like a great idea, esp since it follows the idea of the bass - minimum screws n paint... lets the wood talk for itself. Whatever it is, I'm sure your bass will sound great anyways ;)
    - btw, something's wrong with your pic. Can't seem to view it.

12. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    those Linc basses look like a phallic symbol to me. sorta reminds me of certain things i'd rather not think about. They are fancy though and nice choice of woods too. Hehe.
    R.H.

13. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    A phallic symbol, huh? Geez, them sound like fightin' words. I really like the look of the upswept upper strap horn. I guess you can just suck my upper horn!!! :D

14. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Ouch! Touche!! :D

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Lincs are sweet. I sold mine to a friend who really needed a killer lightweight instrument. The V neck quickly becomes an afterthought. Barts sound great in the ones I've played.

I have the quadcoils in three basses and they're all set up with a coil selection toggle. Very versatile. Actually I don't have any Bart installs I don't love.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I played a couple at New'd Sound in Athens, GA a loooooong time ago.

I thought they were really cool. I liked the hard V neck profile, but it was diametrically opposed to the W-I-D-E and flat neck on my US Curbow 5, and therefore alien, and scary. :help: :ninja:

Seriously, it was a very nice bass, and different.

I also saw a guy playing one at the Hollywood Hard Rock.

I'd like to check one out again. Enjoy your new bass! :bassist:

17. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Brad, I'm curious if you had the W2 Barts in your Linc, and if so, how would you compare them to the quad-coils? Was your Linc passive, or did you get it active? I have a six string Linc, but it has Lane Poors, with the Lane Poor preamp, which in essence is still passive, cause it's a rather low output, and there isn't an active EQ. I'm getting the RMCs in my new one, and we have an RMC Hybrid preamp to buffer the mags and piezos. However, I still like the idea of going active, since my Modulus basses give me such great tone active. Was your Linc passive, like the normal ones, and if so, did you like the passive tone over an active tone? I am looking at these Noll electronics with sweepable mids, but don't really think Linc has room to put them in the cavity, because the Impression bass has a bracing in it. Curious about your likes and dislikes, and if you had a fretted or fretless. Never played a fretless Linc, found a used one I was considering buying, but thought I'd hold off since I'm getting this crazy new fretted five-string Impression. Lastly, with the quad-coils, do you have three way switches, or two way, and if two way, what are the selections for the neck and bridge pickups? Have any two favorites? Later, thanks for your input. :cool:

18. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I love Linc basses.

When do we see a picture of your 6 string Dave??

Peace,
    JP

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine was passive, I doubt they were quadcoil soapbars.

I have quadcoils in three of my Brubakers.

One 3 way toggle;
    both quadcoil
    quadcoil bridge,split neck
    both split

I like all of the choices.

20. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The truth is I'm behind the times, and dont have a digital camera. I do have this one old pic in an email, but it's too big to add to the message, system wont let me. Unfortunately I can't show it now, but will try later. Anyway, here's the specs on my six:
    3-piece neck, purpleheart/zebrawood/purpleheart, ebony fingerboard. Top is flamed/curly maple, and has two 1" stripes of padauk flanking the neck. The ebony fingerboard extends and forms a thumbrest. The back and neck through heel section are all bubinga. The pickups are Lane Poors, neck pickup is the wide aperature, and the bridge is the humbucker. I'm gonna replace the bridge (single ABMs) with the Hipshot A-style I just got, and I am going to attempt to fit the ultralight tuners on the headstock, but doubt those will fit. The preamp is a Lane Poor, but it's more or less boost only, and output is still a little low (that's why I'm not crazy about the Lane Poors). Controls are Volume/Blend/Tone. When Linc sends me some pics of the new one, I'll post them on here. Keep watching!!!