1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Linden EQ by Barber Electronics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Laurent, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I reached out to David Barber at Barber Electronics looking for a Linden EQ pedal.
    This pedal is essentially the EQ of an Ampeg B15 with a couple of additional EQ options and a really nice boost. The pedal has been out of production for several years.

David mentioned that his company is working on an updated version of the Linden which will incorporate a more compact footprint and an improved feature set. According to him, it should be out in a month or two.

This pedal is on my must buy list and I look forward to it!

CliffD, JulienP., SwitchGear and 5 others like this.
  2. Really cool pedal. You should check out the Fuzzrocious Baxstabber also based on the Baxandal Eq circuit, with many options.

3. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    According to Barber Electronic's facebook page, the new Linden should now be out this winter.
    The wait continues but it will be worth it, to me at least.

JulienP. and stambroker like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You might PM AzureSkies about getting one of these - or something similar:

2016-10-20 15.56.24.

It's a custom Baxandall preamp I requested based on the B-15 tonestack.

Mine has enough output to directly drive a power amp and enough gain on tap to even do double duty as a very nice FET overdrive if I choose to push it. Sweet little box!

My write up on it can be found here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Al Kraft and bassbrad like this.
  5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    hZyjIDb.
    "It's back, the Barber Electronics Linden EQ! We took the best of the vintage Flip Top EQ circuit, added incredible headroom via internal conversion to 27 volts, dialed in the circuit with two toggles that allow it to go beyond its classic roots, and a build-quality and components that are unmatched in such a compact design. Introductory price, consumer direct at $99.95."

6. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nice. I'll have to check this one out. Wish it had top mounted jacks though.

7. I had one of the Barber older versions and it was sweet, I passed it on because I had a custom pre that had the 3_band stack and needed the mid.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Where'd you find this? I just looked on their website and can't find it.

9. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Facebook and Instagram. They also posted the instructions, which goes deeper into the switches and the technical stuff.

NKBassman likes this.
  10. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Thanks. I've been interested in a Barber Linden since before they discontinued the original. Never had the chance to pick one up!

BeauZooka likes this.
  11. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Thanks for alerting me, I had been checking the Barber page regularly and was starting to lose hope this pedal would ever see the light of the day.
    Here it is at last and I have one on order.
    It will be interesting to compare to the original.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    jwindham likes this.
  12. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    So here it is. It sounds exceptionally good like the original and comes with a couple of new tricks up its sleeve on the top of the smaller footprint.
    Highly recommended, particularly at the introductory price of $99 plus shipping, it's a steal for a hand assembled pedal. When you look at the circuit board it's a work of art. I plan on keeping both pedals as they sound the same but have a couple of differences.

IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1995.JPG

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why did I have to look? I really don't need it. But man, my old Linden EQ was so good!

14. sporad

sporad Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2009
    NYC
    What are the new “tricks” on this one? I see a second toggle switch.

15. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Lol I'm feeling the same way. If I wasn't on the Broughton P-15 wait list already...

JimmyM likes this.
  16. They posted a picture of the user manual on their Instagram account. The left is a contour toggle and the right is an input toggle

17. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Before I launch into the new tricks, the pedal is equipped with a robust clean boost. You can bring the volume all the way up and the signal stays clean. That was true of the previous version of this pedal as well. The EQ points for treble and bass are really well picked and allow the output to remain usable and musical regardless of the setting. If you want more mids just turned down the treble and bass, bring up the volume and you get more mids. Experienced bass players like JimmyM do that in their sleep but younger musicians craving a mid correction might find this trick useful.

So instead of having two EQ points for bass and treble like the previous version of this pedal, the new one has an input filter, something I rarely see on pedals. This one give you three positions: full input, a tighter position really useful if you want to dig in, it cuts the low bass but put emphasis on the punch and a third position that puts an emphasis on the mids, David Barber describes that as a throaty effect and it capture this input position well. I could see these two positions really useful during a sound check and facing a boomy stage.

The left three position toggle offer a full tone on the left, a middle position that impacts the high treble and it's pretty subtle. The last position is really cool and takes out the high mids that tend to be noisy. I love that position combined with the throaty position of the input toggle. Use that with a PJ pickup configuration and you cut through the mix like a monster!

The Linden is one of my always on pedal, it just improves my tone and it can be as subtle or in your face as you want it to be. My only minor grudge with the Linden is the fact that it cannot take a battery. It's pretty obvious looking at the pedal, there was no room for that. That being said, I love the power input is on the top of the pedal instead of the side. Great tone, clean boost, excellent EQ, a couple of EQ tricks, all that from a master designer like David Barber, who could as for more?!

Al Kraft, Ba55Man1ac and JulienP. like this.
  18. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Top jacks would be nice! ;)

tragicmagic likes this.
  19. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Yes maybe but looking inside that little pedal, there's no room!
    I actually started using way fewer pedal than in the past so I have plenty of room on my board.
    Less is more when it comes to pedal is my new thinking.

20. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Oh I know, I saw that. Just kidding around.
    I keep a really small pedal board, so space is always at a premium. Not to be wasted on things like cable routing. :p