Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Line 6 "Paper Doll" Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Samurai, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    http://line6.com/tonecore/modules.html

*If you like stompboxes with unlimited tonal options, check out the highly acclaimed ToneCore® effects now available as modules and ToneDock stompboxes. With ToneCore modules and docks, you can easily and inexpensively expand your effects arsenal at any time.*

These look great. You put whatever effect you want into a base unit, and can swap them out and mix and match however you please. I think this could be the perfect thing for keeping the size of one’s pedalboard down, with more situational effects being left at home or in a gig bag. Also this flexibility helps to not worry as much about committing to a permanent pedalboard.

2. Yah, I saw these when I was checking out samples of the delay pedal. Seems like a great idea, and hopefully will bring the cost down on used "cores" so that people can trade when the effect gets old/unused/whatever.

I was going to get an echo park until I saw this coming out some time in spring.

ingenious idea, but I am not sure how much I would swap out modules, nevermind the "drop and fall apart" aspect (I am sure the engineers will find a reasonable solution).

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My opinion? Gimmick x23904.

4. don't they screw in? i don't think that they would drop out of the base.

gimmicky? probably.
    good idea? i think so...i would like to see a whole bunch of makers use that format, so the modules could be more affordable...but it will probably end up like what schecter did with EMG pickups. that had that standard hook up for pickups so you could easily switch them in and out, but i don't think it really caught on...

5. man, you are preaching to the choir. the problem with creating and following standards is that it makes it easier for others to create things, and allows them to profit as well! with standards, the end user wins, without, the $$$ wins.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    yawn ...

Pricing - probably not significantly less than buying the ful on stomp box I would imagine. How solid are those connectors going to be ? Anything that get's repeatedly plugged in and un-plugged is going to have a wear cycle ... so if it's rugged enough to survive it will raise the cost of manufacture for the dock...

Situational effect. Great - leave it home. I don;t take my bass octave or looper everywhere I go. Just when I want 'em.

Now if they offered up say a 4 or 5 unit dock with a common power supply, internal wiring and true bypass, then you could create a floorboard MEP that would make sense for your signal chain. ( I could deal with a Flange, then a Verb, then a compressor, then a filter and finally a DI/line driver - leave the distortion/echo/ everything else out ...)

That might get my attention ... the one effect / 1 dock seems like an answer looking for a question to me ...

7. **!!!CRUSH BLOW!!!**

you win!

hear that, line 6??! best idea ever!!!

8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    so what happens when you have one dock and you have all of the modules and you like all of em.

and you want to use em all on one effects chain.

that means you'll need more docks which will cost probably the same as just get each stomp box.

did they think of that....no!

9. Ultimately this kind of flexibility comes at a cost.

Depending on how much of the electronics is common to the base unit, it could be that the base unit is under-utilised when running some modules. The upshot is that the base units have to be engineered to cope with the most demanding modules which may mean they're more expensive than they need to be when running the less demanding modules.

Having said all that, the modules themselves appear to be reasonably complex - even for the "simple" effects such as distortion.

You'd have to think that this is a feeder product into a module based pedal board, multi effects base unit or an amp with interchangeable effects.

10. Of course they thought of that! What, you think they're out to save you a buck?! Heck no! You need to be more cynical my friend!!

Marketing motivation for this product is this:
    1. Make the modules attractively affordable.
    2. People will be able to buy say three modules for the price of one full effects pedal, so they will buy lots of modules.
    3. Eventually they're get fed up with having lots of modules and only one base unit and they'll buy more base units.

Most people can justify spending multiple small amounts of cash much easier than they can commit to spending one big wad of cash. Lots of companys deliberately build a "frustration factor" into their products, then offer an elegant solution at additional cost. Hey, it works brilliantly for Microsoft!

11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Although people seem to be absolutely raving about this, I'll go the other direction and say that this is pretty dumb. I don't see any pricing, but I'll guarantee you that it'll be more expensive to buy a module + base unit than just a regular stompbox.

And what if you want to run multiple effects at the same time, or run different ones quickly (say the same song)? From what I see, a *usable* rig using this system is going to be a lot more expensive than just buying the straight effects.

Plus, now you'd have to keep extra care of the modules, buy their own storage units/gig bags (another expense), as I doubt just the straight electronics can take much abuse by themselves. 4Mal also brought up a good point--this system looks like it could wear out pretty fast. What then, re-buy everything?

It's a good idea, but I don't think people in the end will care too much. *Maybe*, maybe, it could work if they could get a bunch of different brands to accept this scheme, all using the exact same system, and if you could get a system where you could put more than one module in--and use them--at the same time. People don't want to be limited to only ever running one brand, and I've aleady gone over the using multiple effects at the same time.

Until then, this just looks expensive and useless.

-Dash

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Didn't Randall do this exact same thing with amplifiers a few years ago?

Didn't it tank? :meh:

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    While I disagree that something that gets unplugged / plugged a lot will wear out (USB devices, iPods, headphones and our basses seem to weather this well), I do think that it can be a pain to be constantly assembling and disassembling my pedals.

14. IMHO, this is like most "new innovative ideas that will change the way we play forever!" products that companies seem to be trying to sell more often. It SEEMS like a good idea, but its probably easier and more conveniant to just stick with regular stompboxes. Like the v-wah, i thought it seemed like a great idea at the time, but i ended up selling it for a normal wah. I think that new Digitech effect will be the same.

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT

15. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    The module/dock is nifty, I suppose, but I would never go for it as it is. But this is worth repeating, again!

It wouls be so easy to do this.... SURELY they have considered it, and I hope (with an appropriate degree of cynicism) that they are going to roll it out after they have have sold a bunch of people a few of the modules and docks. Maybe this is testing the water?

16. This is exactly what this line is.

If they made it so that you could have 7 modules in a 2U rack, with a reasonable foot controller setup, it would be a NASTY multi effect rack unit. Lame as it is, having the separate controls for each effect (color coded at that) would be super intuitive, and would make it would be really fun to tweak rack style (small too!)

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My old guitar player bought one of those Randall heads. Had three spaces for different modules. Was pretty cool actually. Then when we went to the store to get him some new ones the store practically gave him four of them cuz they were't selling at all.

18. i still wish the made one for bass...

anyways, back on topic, i don't believe it will cost any different to get the module/base. It is just like going to the store and buying a line 6 tonecore pedal, only these pedals have the ability to undock...

i think we and Line 6 are making a mountain out of a molehill

i don't think it'll change everything, but i still like the idea...

19. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IIRC, those modules cost $250.00 each. By the time you bought the chassis for $800.00 and a module, you could have bought the amp that you were trying to "model". Getting the modules for free would be cool though. Peace.

P.S. Sorry for the hijack.