1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Little Mark 2 Fan Question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vcs700s, Feb 22, 2008.

1. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I just purchased a new Little Mark 2. I see it has a fan. Can someone please let me know if it is suppose to run all the time or come on when needed?

I have an Eden WTX-260 and the fan runs all the time and keeps it cool as a cucumber.

The LMK 2 definitely feels warmer to the touch. Not hot, just warm.

I just want to make sure it is alright. Good tone by the way.:)

2. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Anyone? Come on many of you have this head. Help!

3. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    The LMK II fan will run all the time. It getting somewhat warm I would say is normal.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    AFAIK the LMII is a Class-AB amplifier, so it will generate some heat.

5. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I am so use to my MB Walkabout fan, which was pretty loud, and the WTX-260 which I could barely hear and feel, I am not hearing anything from the fan on the LM or feeling any airflow.

Is that how it is suppose to be?

6. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I just looked in the back where the grill is. I turned on the amp and the fan is not working. If it is suppose to run all the time, I will need to return it and get another one. Bummer.

7. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Well, I figured out the problem. I took off the top and lo and behold the wires from the fan run to a plug that was just hanging above the board. I plugged it in and everything is working fine now. Thank God!

8. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Now that you fixed your new LM-II fan, your next project is to replace your Walkabout fan! There's a thread here somewhere about that. Basically it is a computer fan, rated at a certain amount of air, cfm. You go online to find fans with similar cfm, but lower dB. It's a simple process to install, and makes a huge difference when you are NOT playing.

9. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Sold the Walkabout two nights ago.

Now I have the LMK 2 and WTX-260.

My 2 cabs are Eden CX110's. It works out to a real nice light weight rig!

2 cabs and 2 heads- I am set for awhile, I think.;)

10. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    Funny, I just sold mine an hour ago, trading it for a Shuttle 6.0. And hey, this one has a fan too, and it is louder than the Walkabout's. The silenced Walkabout that is.

While the Whappo is hardly light, the other cabs (EA Wizzy 12 and 10) are dainty, as are the two heads (Shuttle and EA Micro300).

But I NEED an AccuGroove Tri12L now. No escape from GAS.

11. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    The fan runs all the time but it is very quiet. I have had it running for hours and it is still cool to touch.

12. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA

Yes, now that it is fixed it is definitely the quietest fan I have heard in a bass head.:D

13. dubyaresee

dubyaresee

Dec 3, 2007
    I have a Markbass LMII, and have noticed that the fan quietly runs constantly.

Do these new-ish compact heads all have a thermal shutoff in case the fan fails?

14. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    There is a thermal shutoff in the Markbass heads. Furthermore, the fan is thermostat-controlled-- so normally it runs quite slow, but speeds up if the temperature of the amp increases.

PM

15. My LM 2 fan seems to always run at the same speed.Not really quiet. Maybe I should have it looked at. Are there any modifications ( better fan) or adjustments to get the fan speed lower?

16. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Where did you get a LittleMark 2?
    The current designation is "3".
    Sure it's new or is this a combo amp?

17. The OP was last logged in on December 26 2016. Maybe too much Turkey put him off from Talk Bass. :)

SJan3 likes this.
  18. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    IMG_2058.JPG
    Got it. Still, my LM3 was made in '09

19. This thread was started in 2008!