Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Living Colour

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JMX, Oct 3, 2003.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just got it (it's out since the 22nd in Germany) - and boy is it rough, at least rougher than I expected!

The Back In Black cover threw me off at first, but it's ok.
    LC still aren't up to par with the KINGS - the SPYZ, but still a strong comeback album.

So where's Jimi, Rick and the gang ?!?

LC are playing Cologne on Monday, so I have to go see them I guess... :D

P.S.: The song Great Expectations is totally Bad Brains, confirming that BB always was the biggest role model for LC.

2. I saw Collideascope in HMV for £13.99 on tuesday and thought about buying it, but instead bought MJ's Off the wall and the Best of Morrissey (£3.99) instead.
    -and gave LC's Stain album another listen.

apparently LC's show at the Garage the wedsnesday before last was sold out months in advance.

I was disappointed by their show at the Forum in 2001, so gave it a miss.

3. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Darn you, now I'm having 2nd thoughts - again. :p

I'd already decided against going (money), then I changed my mind - now I'm doubtful again.

SPYZ always had a better groove than LC, but I have 3 days to decide...

4. but Steve Lawson enjoyed the Garage show-
    http://steve.anthropiccollective.org/

on TBL someone was raving about the Forum 2001 gig, so there you go.
    I was a bit bored by the dub jams, which wasted time when they could have played more of the better songs.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Who's in this version of Living Colour?
    Couple weeks ago, I saw Black Jack Johnson on HBO & said to myself, "I'll be damned, that's Will Calhoun & Doug Wimbish". I think Bennie Worrell is also in BJJ.

Anyway, Living Colour will always be one of my favourites...their 1st two albums are very top shelf.

LIVE? They were painful to the point of not being very enjoyable("a wall of noiz").
    ;)

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

SPYZ IS DOPE! man.

I think the first Living Colour album was awsome, ferosious.IMHO better than anything spyz did. But they just went down hill, nothing.....

AJ

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I finally found some info on this Collide-O-scope-
    Reid, Calhoun, Wimbish, & Glover are back.
    Due to be released in the States on Oct 7.

Vivid rocks...IMO, Time's Up is a very Avant Rock album.

I have no Bad Brains albums.
    Please feel free to educate me...
    ;)

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    get the one that rick okasek produced Rock for light I believe its called.

They were around alot eirlier than spyz and LC kinda different in my mind but well worth checking out.

AJ

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    True dat!

I have every album except Selling Heavy Metal by the Pound (never released in Europe and IIRC just a rehash of 6 and Strength in Numbers).

I saw 3 of their tours :cool:

And I have a drum skin of Anthony Jackson from their Gumbo Millenium tour with all of their signatures :cool: :cool:

10. I had the Bad Brains "Black dots" album for a while, but I sold it as the songs didn't really grab me, and I didn't like the vocal style.

LC's song "Time's up" was obviously influenced by them though.

11. They are playing a show at the Avalon in Boston with King Crimson.

I WANNA GO!!!!:mad:

Stupid school:bawl:

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I thought 'I Against I' was a good Bad Brains album.....a little polished, but good! I bought the Dub version last year & enjoy that one too.
    H.R. is just insane!!!!

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The BB's are pretty nice guys. A mutual friend brought HR and Dr. Know to a show I was playing in Alabama a couple of years back. Dr. Know bought me a few shots and gave me a Soul Brains shirt. It was a trip to see him dancing side-stage while we were playing. That blew me away since I have been a fan since the 80's. Good guys.

As for LC, I am curious to hear the new stuff....although I still miss Muzz being in the group. Not to knock Doug W, but I always liked the energy better with Muzz.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    FWIW-
    I am the sort who prefers "real" & guys playing with an edge. If that means I have to put up with a degree of rawness...so be it. Production for production's sake can make for an overglossed product. It's that reason, I would rather hear some neighborhood kids bangin' away in the garage vs. some of these New Country bands we typically open for. Ya dig?
    ;)

I am a little surprised Ric Ocasek produced the BB.
    Then again Mick Jagger was very suppotive of LC.

One other thing-
    If you guys say LC was influenced by BB...I guess you guys know best.
    Vernon Reid, though, had been around the NYC underground with the likes of "Blood" Ulmer & that whole harmolodic school prior to Living Colour. Coming outta that bag + the school of Hendrix + other assorted R&B/Funk/Soul is what I heard out of Living Colour's 1st 2 records.
    But like I said, I'm not too, too up on the Bad Brains.
    ;)

I'll add those BB discs to my list; right now I'm swamped with a ton of new s*** to listen to!

16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It makes you wonder.....what ever happened to Muzz! A great player like that just disappearing:confused:

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey Jim!!! A little off topic, but did you see Pete Cosey on the PBS blues series this week?

18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Ive heard a unconfirmed rumer from a number of people muzz has a serious subatance abuse issue.

AJ

19. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Not got the new album yet, but as mentioned, I loved the gig at the Garage, thought it was amazing. Doug Wimbish was on top form.

Muzz is back playing again. I think he went back to being a fireman again, but was in the UK recently playing with some singer/songwriter - wished I'd seen it, as I always loved his playing...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Thats great news! I love his playing too!

AJ