Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New London terrorism 21 July...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jul 21, 2005.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Reports just now hitting US media sources... everybody OK over there?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm typing from an office in Central London - we've been instructed to stay inside and the tube has been closed down!

But it seems that nobody has been injured and bombs failed to go off - there seems to be witnesses saying that detonators went off ...?

Not enough to even damage the wearer of the rucksack!

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    News here in the US is reporting of another bus expolsion and possibly a nail bomb in one of the stations. No reports of injuries, and lets hope what Bruce heard is more accurate.

We're praying for and thinking about you!!!

4. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    It seems that the bus was barely damaged at all, windows were blown out but everyone just walked off. One of the guys on the trains ran off, and people were shouting to stop him, but no one did (for some reason). Either the bombers were cack handed and every single one of them failed to make a working bomb, or it was just to scare people?

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I hope this wasn't a Bio followup attack... the synchronized timing and time of day concern me.

6. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Armed police are entering University College Hospital, I believe they think a suspect is in there. Emergency services in Chemical Suits at Warren St.

7. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Nobody really seems to know what's going on right now, we're getting mixed and jumbled reports from the bbc.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Geez, why can't one of these homicide bombers show up in my ER?

Bruce, and all of our UK family, stay safe!!!

Mike

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Careful now. They are not terrorists. They are disenfranchised youth.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They're terrorists.

11. Im praying for you guys.....I hope your all alright.

12. how could this happen again? I thought there were police and sniffer dogs at every tube station now?

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    It doesn't matter what you do in a free society, you will never stop this sort of thing 100% while keeping your lifestyle free.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think syc was being facetious. I heard a disturbing sound clip of London's mayor yesterday, basically blaming the west for the bombings, by way of "exploiting the Arab world".

But Toasted, one thing is agreed, they ARE terrorists.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I agree. Its a tough day. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

The major didnt mean what he said, and has been bunched in with the fanatics. Red Ken is a good guy, and very good for London. I feel sorry for him.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know what you mean. A good point was made on one of the news stations that it is difficult to provide airtight security to a service designed to let thousands of people have constant instant access in a speedy manner.

-Mike

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Thousands is a big underestimation - 3 million people a day use the tube in London!!

I can see it making a difference though - I actually quite enjoy walking about London, especially in the hot weather in the summer, when the tube is unbearable.

When working in London, for the last few years, I walk to my office from the mainline station - unless I'm really pushed for time - but a lot of people I work with, never go anywhere in London apart from by tube and get lost above ground!! ;)

But I think a lot more people are going to be walking about - which in a way is a good thing for health and a sense of community....?

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  19. "Smoking" rucksack discovered on tube train in London.

20. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    BassicInstinct - do you have a news report for that?