1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Longhorn!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Pretty stoked! Got a new "dead on 58" Longhorn today. Played a little bit through my amp, and it sounds KILLER. Danelectro always blows me away with their guitars.

Surprisingly, it has a slap tone to it. I think it's time for a vlog review on this bass. I'm premiering it tonight 6 hours away, I'll post a gig review too!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Gimmie Pics!

3. On the way... I'm at work right now, but pics will be coming (note, the only camera I have is an iPhone)

4. nice! cant wait for the pics!!

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Not to hijack the thread but I got mine a few months ago and I doubt his looks much different than mine, so 'til he posts pics, here's mine:
    bass1-1.
    Copyofdano007.
    Copyofdano006.

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ok how much is this thing worth new and how does it sound? what does it sound like? Please, give us an audio clip!

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    "Worth" is subjective... These 'Dead-On-Danos' look like they're running right at $349 on eBay (COST)... I would take somewhat more than that for me to part with my '00 Longhorn (WORTH)!

BTW, the fact that these newer ones have the truss adjustment at the headstock (while not 'historically accurate') is a huge bonus!

-robert

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I've wondering about these. Interesting...

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I plan on snagging one after they've seasoned a bit, when used ones start hitting the market. I love all the Dano reissue basses, and have always been pleasantly surprised at the Longhorn's versatility.

They really are surprisingly slappable, if you're into that sort of thing.

10. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    I wonder why they went back to the old-style rosewood bridge on the 3rd Longhorn reissues? One of the main gripes I used to hear was the inability to intonate them which is why the 2nd reissues had adjustable bridges.

11. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I want to hear it! Does it have a big sound? Does it sound like a Ric with all the clink-clank?

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Danno's sound like Dannos. Lots of high mid Honk.

Looks like they did a good job with this re issue.

Glad to see the popsicle stick bridge making a comeback too.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For me, the popsicle stick bridge seals the deal, brings the vibe, nails the mojo, whatever... With some futzing, it actually intonates pretty well, certainly accurately enough for most of the music this bass is geared towards!

A few weeks back, my band was in the middle of a spate of Tuesday night dates, and I had wrenched my back pretty splendidly... Pulled the Longhorn out of storage, (it had been months since it had seen gig-time), and not only did it save my back, it has once again found a spot in the steady rotation!

Last night, we got called for an emergency fill-in and the Dano made the third set liveable!

That 'High-Mid-Honk' keeps it sitting well in the mix. I have mine strung with D'Addario Chromes... A little piece of foam under the strings and some judiciously added lows turn it into a total roots machine... Plus, it looks cool as hell!!

-robert

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Boy do I feel left out...None of my original Danos, Silvertones (by Dano), RI Danos, or Jerry Jones "Danos" exhibit any "honk" whatsoever.

15. Mini Review:

Cosmetics:
    The bass looks fantastic. The finish is a satin copper burst, and my favorite part of the bass is the back of the neck, which looks amazing. The only blemish on the bass is a a bit of discoloration between the nut and the first fret. Nothing is wobbly, there is no excess rattling, there are no sweat stains on it (yet). The tuners and headstock look small for such a big body, but I like it. The only thing I don't get is the vinyl siding feeling stuff they put as "binding" around the body. I have a Danelectro 63 guitar though, so I was expecting that.

Playability:
    The bass seems to be set up very well. I'm not used to short scale, but i do find myself playing things I normally wouldn't on long scale. The frets do not jut out of the fingerboard, and then neck feels like a great compromise between the smoothness of a MIA Fender and the speed of a MusicMan. The strap buttons are conveniently placed, and while the bass does dive a little towards the neck, it's incredible lightness makes holding the neck up an effortless task. The bass is light and very easy to carry, but does not at all feel like a toy to me.

Tone:
    The tone is hard to describe. I will post a YouTube video demonstrating the tone. It is almost like a cross between a Rick, a Precision, and a Jazz. It's pick tone is unmistakable, and it's slap tone is unique and I could see myself using this bass in a multitude of settings. The only thing lacking from this bass is the low end rumble tone, but I have a P-bass and a 5 string, so I don't need that in this bass. This bass could sit VERY well in a power trio setting, and it's guitar-like sweetness seems to add subtle harmonics that almost sound like a rhythm guitarist's.

Overall:
    Does this bass trump my MIA Jazz, Stingray 5, or MIM P? No. Do I see this becoming my "go-to" bass? Probably not, but it very well could. I've put 2 - to - 5 times the amount of money in my other basses, and I'm just as happy with this bass as I am with the others. The bass has a unique tone that is truly a "must hear". And while some my not like the looks, I think it's uniqueness throws a wrench in the bass community, it's neither "fender style" nor "boutique style". I would gladly pay $700 for a bass like this if I had to, but luckily it only cost me about $400 (tax included). So if you've been GASing for a bass that sets you apart from the norm but isn't going to set you back to far, get this bass. If you want a versatile and cool bass for your first instrument but don't like the looks of Squier or Ibanez, get a Danelectro and you won't feel the need to upgrade, but the need to add to a collection.

Overall rating: 9.0 / 10.0

16. more pics... sorry, can only attach them from the iphone...

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My formerly owned, original Danno, and Jerry Jones were Honk machines with rounds on them and a pick.

18. again...

Attached Files:

19. more..

Attached Files:

20. only a few more..

Attached Files: