Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New look for my Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Here is the before picture. Just a standard MIM Fender P, black w/white guard....

[​IMG]

2. Now here is the bass with the new pickguard...

[​IMG]

3. And a close up... in the picture I did not have knobs on the bass but I put some vintage jazz knobs on yesterday.

[​IMG]

4. Ok, now I have a question. My input jack is crammed up against the side of my control rout, is it possible that I just didn't put it back on right or will I have to carve a little space out to make it fit?

5. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    It's neat, depending on the look you're going for. I've never been a fan of the black pearloid, a little gaudy for my tastes. Definitely makes the bass look more impressive.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I want that exact model/color bass with a tortise shell pickguard.

7. That looks familiar! I i wished i had a pic here of my 1978 (im at work). I did it like that some years ago and still get comments on how sharp it looks! The omly difference in mineand yours is chrome nurled knobs adn a maple 'board.

that look still holds up for me, great looking bass, bud!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool! Chrome knobs would look nice with that.

9. Nice look! I put a black guard on my sunburs P and it looks awesome. Oh, and as for the input jack, you put it on right, it is just that it is one pickguard that is sold to fit the same P-bass that has been made for all these years, and it probably won't fit really great. I had to sand mine down a bit around the neck because I couldn't even get it on.

jtbp

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I love that look. I have been thinking of doing something similar to my P-bass.

Dan

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    where's the pickup cover? ;)

12. not into the covers myself, eventho i still have them. The covers look cool, but the pup cover is in the way, adn the bridge cover alone looks funny on my bass (maple fretboard, and all) - draws too much attention to the body

13. i would have gone with t-shell. not bad though.

14. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yea, I also dig that look on my MIM P.

15. bassistjedi,

That new pickguard looks money!!!!!!:eek:

I love it!!!

:D

16. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    nice! I like the new pickguard.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I went in a similar direction. My fretless Jazz is that dull vanilla-white they started doing in the '80's. (It's an '88) I swapped the bridge for a Schaller roller bridge, I swapped the p'ups for EMG's, put in a preamp, and I swapped the WBW pickguard for a black pearl one.

Had a little neck work, straightened, sanded, sealed with epoxy. Thinking about changing the EMG's to Barts.

The only Fender parts are the body,the neck, the neckplate, and the tuners.

I have occasionally considered changing the neck for a graphite. But then I start thinking you can't beat the mwah of epoxy over rosewood.

It's a killer. If I go into the studio, I have got to have perfect sound from the very beginning. Usually that is the fretless. If I HAVE to play fretted I have my Spector in the same gig bag.

But these two basses are the ones I have now because they deliver the goods. Every time.

And the Fender looks better doing it.