Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Look For P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist519, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    Right now I have a Fender american P bass. (see picture.) I am thinking about changing the Pick guard froma white to a red shell pickguard. I think this will make it look more vintage ( I am going for a 60s 70s look) Do you think this will work out, or am i jsut wasting my money?

Attached Files:

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    For what it's worth, I refinished mine. I abhor white pickguards on any bass that isn't white or black.

How it looked originally...
    [​IMG]

How it looks now...
    [​IMG]

Better view of body and pickguard...
    [​IMG]

I think you are right about the tort pickguard. I think it will be a major improvement on it's looks...and cheap to do.

3. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    Also which one looks better, the one with the green background or the other one? I found both of these on Ebay, the Green background one was $19.99 and the other one was $12.99.

Attached Files:

4. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Here's my '79 P. It originally had a b/w/b pickguard on it.

[​IMG]

I need to take a new pic of it with it polished up and I also need to put stock style pups back in it.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think the darker one would go better with your bass. Hard to tell from the pic, but is your bass a sunburst or a brownburst (name?)?

6. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    My bass is a three tone sunburst.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'd go with the darker pickguard.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm either going to get the tortiose shell or the black from my mia sunburst p