1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New, looking to create a really nice Bass rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrweems, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    Hi, i'm new to the forum. I'm a guitar player researching gear for my bassist.

he is not very internet/tech savvy. So here i am. I'm a regular over on Harmony central forums, and they are down now so i thought i'd venture out over here.

Anyways he is currently playing :

Fender Jazz bass. Looks to be one of those 70's copy ri's where the body is worn looking but its really the way it was painted. I didn't suggest this option.

Ampeg 4x10. Not sure on the model. but it has the carpet on the outside. Wheels. And a wide long port at the very bottom.

He also is playing a GK RB400 i believe is the name.

So now he has his eyes on a Music Man.
    Andi suggested Ampeg SVT Classic and Ampeg 6x10 cab.

Any different recomendations for cheaper sound better than whats been listed?

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Ampeg 610 and Classic head will be great.

What genre are you guys? That could help us give you better recommendations.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    For a bit more money (I think the difference might be about $200?), he could pick up the Bergantino NV610 or NV215 instead, which are extremely well-designed cabs that pair with SVTs better than Ampeg's cabs do. :p

The real question, though, is he satisfied with his current sound and just wants it louder? If he doesn't like his current tone, what does he want to change / improve? If we know what he wants to sound like, it'd be much easier to push him in a particular direction.

4. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    I thought so to. But i have recently noticed that they have reissued the Ampeg SVT. Is that to much, or should he just settle for a Classic?

Indie/Rock/Amient

I like to think of us as Radiohead - Smashingpupmkins - Fiona Apple.. Really hard to describe yourself when your going for something original

www.myspace.com/charmedimsureband

Thats our myspace. it has some very dated music on there. Over a year and a half old now.

Bass tones that i've heard and really admired.

Colin Greenwood - Radiohead
    Muse's bass player
    Brand New - Their bass players tones is great

5. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    at this point he has only been playing for about 7 months.

Me and my band used band money to purchase his current rig. It is just mediocre IMO. It could be improved.

This is going to happen after we get a trailer. Which will be in the next few months.

In our band we like tight flowing bass. Thick and punchy.
    Bass tone to stay away from. Les clay pool style. Love the guy, just not his tone. I find it incredibly to describe tone. So Loud, thick, bassy, and good. Its vauge? But does that help? The typical metal "plinky" bass tone.

Bass that can be used with pedals is always a plus. Though i have read alot of reviews on active/passive on effects as well as tube/solid state amps with pedals.

6. Wooo, wooo, wooo. Slow down and give my head time to stop spinning.....

Ok. You described several different tones there, two of which "thick and punchy" and "metal 'plinky'" to me mean very different things.

I am gonna second the Berg NV610 option. Seems to get nothing but good reviews here, and will fir your thick and punchy requirement better than the Ampeg 610, which is, to my ears, not all that punchy.

For an amp, it is hard to beat the Markbass LMII. Go listen to one at GC. They are much more powerful than the GK you're currently using.

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    He said metal plinky is what he doesn't want get.

I would stray away from the LMII for the rock sounds he's going for. It's too transparent.

Colin Greenwood is straight P basses through SVTs. I love that sound too.

Traditionally, an SVT 810 cab is sealed. If you guys aren't playing through a PA system, I'd get a ported cab to put out some real lows. If not, the sealed cab will still have tons of sound, but it won't be ultra-low.

As for the classic vs. the VR for the head, I've heard of people preferring one over the other both ways. If he could try it, that would be ideal.

8. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    He is using the same head you have for sale.

And like stated above.

Trying to stay away from : plinky trebly bass tones.

Wanting
    :
    More warm and bassy bass tone.

9. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    I agree. Every time i have seen video or heard audio of him. It always just makes me smile. But he actually has two rigs. He has his ampeg rig and he also has an Ashdown rig. The cab with the blue speakers as well as the head.

And my bassist hates pbases. every bass he plays that he falls in love with usually has active pickups. And i'm 100% against active pickups. Sound horrible with fuzz.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I can understand where he's coming from, I really do love active basses. But I am in the process of finding a good passive bass I like, because quite simply, it sits better in a rock mix. Give him time with the bass. Let him try a p bass in the band, it's a lot different than playing it by itself.

Ashdown is also great for the sound you're after... If you have a good store, take him there and make him play everything :p.

11. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    NO ashdown stores near by. When he first started i took him. But after he bought a bass without even showing me or asking me my thoughts on it. I basically said **** you, and your going to hate what you bought.

And i was right. He hates his bass.
    I'm still trying to convince him that he needs a bass without active pickups. But he doesn't understand what that means in terms of creating a rig and it working correctly. He says they all feel and sound better.

And i tell him. Get a Pbass thats set up, intonated, and has some nice pups in it. Then tell me which one sounds best! Pbass FTW!

WE have a few local stores with the typical Ampeg 8x10. ANd an svt3 i belive. The solid state model.

I'm looking for ALL tube here. A completely different tone than solid state IMO.

he is completely against Pbasses. He hates them for some reason. I don't get it. I find a late 70's White Pbass to be so sexy.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally I'd be more concerned as to why the bass player himself isn't motivated to learn/pursue his own gear and sound, and more importantly, why the band is paying for the bass players gear rather then him paying for his own rig.

Just two things I've seen turn sour for bands in the past.

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Well, and don't take this wrong... but how would you like it if your drummer insisted that you play something different? If you're a Strat fanatic and someone tells you to get a strat or else f***** you, you'll hate it. If you're a Paul person and someone tries to force a Strat on you you'll feel the same. Unlike many specific guitars, most current basses can do about anything they need to do. It's more about how they play and what you run them through.

An active can do whatever you want or ALLOW it to do. It's more versatile sound wise. It can be bright and punchy or subdued and mellow.

You can take a Tube PreAmp and run it through a solid state Bass Amp and it can sound very tubey. But it's up to the player to coax those things out of the guitar and rig. It sounds like your guitar player perceptions and ideas about amps, guitars and tone are actually working against you in this case.

Did someone or has someone in the past ever forced your guitar sound and guitar / amp preferences onto you based on their insisting?

Honestly it sounds like you've already got your mind made up what you're going to do and what he needs, and honestly you're needs or preferences as a guitar player are vastly different than a bass players needs or preferences.

Best of luck.

14. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    Ok, sorry should have made it clearer in the begining.

WE bought his CURRENT rig. As in the rig he is playing on now. We were having some bassist problems and finally said **** it. We will buy a rig and just get some guy to play bass.

When you get to a certain level of being in a band and you lose a key member. It is really hard to find some one that has all of the qualities needed to continue, Dedication, gear, and knowing the material.

Well number 2 there has always been a problem.

NOW. He is buying his own gear and we will end up selling the current rig to purchase other band related items.

As to why he doesn't research his own stuff.

He is not computer literate, he is not internet literate. Doubt he even knows what the term "forum" is. it would probalby be frustrating for him to ask what he needs, where to ask, and how deep he wants to get into this.

15. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    I understand that. That's why i'm here.

To alter my knowledge of my own gear and be more round in knowing about bass. I know a fair amount about drums as well due to my drummer, me, and his teacher having conversations.

I know what I like in bass gear. And it could all be wrong. I'm just stating off from what i have read, seen others play, and read what others like.

Me and my bass player continue to fight over passive vs active pickups. I'm going to lose that battle, his decision. So i imagine a Music Man will be purchased.

16. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    mrweems,

Here's my 2 cents. www.acousticamplification.com Although you may be sold on All tube only you may want to give these things a listen. For now, he can try out the Acoustic B200H head with B410 and B115 cabs. that Stack will run you around $750. You mentioned you may have time and are just doing a little prospecting right now. Coming in late October/early Nov. you should see the bigger brother head, the B600H, and the bigger brother B810 cab. It may be blasphemy to say this here but it should be in the neighborhood of a "Classic" Ampeg SVT rig. New with 3 year warranty for around $1,100.00. You sound like a seasoned guitarist who knows what he likes to hear coming from the bottom end. I only recommend to give this stuff a serious listen, don't just take my word for it, go to GC and listen for yourself.

Tell you Bassist to Play On!:bassist:

Best of Luck!

Bassmore

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Most or many basses have 'passive' pickups, with 'active' preamps, which is different then how most guitars are setup. Some pickup manufactures like EMG have active pickups and some people love them, but they're not necessarily the standard.. Many are active preamp basses wired so you can flip a switch to make them Active or Passive. Though... good preamps anymore are so transparent that you usually cannot hear a difference when they're set flat and turned on or off.

The bass can nudge a sound one way or another. The amp can nudge it further one way or another. EQ's, PreAmps, and effects can nudge the sound further in directions, but honestly the majority of the sound differences depend on how your bass player plays the bass.

Another thing to keep in mind is that no matter what it sounds like in GC or somewhere else, the rig will sound unbelievably different with the rest of the band, and a big part of how the bass sounds live depends on how the guitars, keyboards, etc sound live.

18. mrweems

mrweems

Sep 29, 2008
    Yes i would consider myself extremely knowledgeable in the guitar area.

But not so much on the bass. I know what i like in terms of hearing. So i basically made a model off of researching some of my more favorable bassists.

I'll give the acoustics a shot. Atleast my bass player will be informed.

Understood and noted.