Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New loudspeakers in a Trace Elliot combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boer9509, Dec 28, 2004.

1. boer9509

boer9509

Dec 27, 2004
    A year ago I bought a very old but good sounding Trace Elliot 4 x 10' combo, GP7 amp, don't know how many watts. Think I blew up 2 or 3 speakers the last performance (playing with a lot of gain and low). I hear strange "mechanical" noises in 1 speaker at somewhat higher volume and loss of power, and at least 1 speaker isn't moving at all.

2 ideas I ask your comment about:

1/ Putting 4 "heavier" 10' speakers in the combo to prevent blowing up again at high gain and lot of low. (Can you give me an advice about a 10' speaker that handles low without blowing up to easy (4-string Jazz Bass)?)
    or
    2/ New, but identical speakers, but also the assistence of a 200W 15' Trace Elliot cabinet that I can buy from a friend for 200 euro (about the same in US dollars). Will this prevent the 10's to break again, helping the combo with the lows? Is 200W for such a cabinet enough if the combo appears to be 300W?

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    It sounds like you didn't have nearly enough power for that cab and thats what probably killed it. You need plenty of clean distortion free power. Get some more power to it! Even though I prefer 15's the trace 410 cabs I have tried could handle lows and lots of power with no problem.

As for replacing the speakers, I would get stock replacements from BritishAudioService.com. Ofcourse for what the replacement speakers would cost, you can buy a new cab.

Anything other than stock replacement speakers could sound like total crap. A speaker has to be matched to the cab. The Theile-Small parameters of the replacement would have to match the factory one it is replacing.

3. boer9509

boer9509

Dec 27, 2004
    My gear is a combo (amp and cab in one), shouldn't the factory match amp power with the speakers?
    Thanks a lot for the link, they sell just the right speakers. Expensive, indeed. Don't know now, maybe it's total loss for the combo. Cannot sell it for the price of two or three new Celestions, payed 200 euro for the combo myself. Gonna think about a new amp & cab. Is it possible to combine the AH's with the V-type cabs? (Saw a occasion today).

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The maunfacturers unfortunately mismatch heads and cabs alot. The speakers in your combo when in the standalone 1048 4x10 cab were rated for 320 watts at 8 ohms. As you can tell, thats a serious mismatch. It will work fine for many years as long as you keep the output level low enough you don't start clipping the amp. Clipping the amp=speaker killing distortion.

Have you ever pulled the head out from that combo? It might be able to be mounted in a rack and then you could use it with whatever cab you wanted.

5. boer9509

boer9509

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks again for the info.

For who is interested, I think I found the problem that caused malfunction of the speakers.
    Yesterday I toke the speakers out of the cab. The speaker upper-right is a 75-LSP-C1008VT 10" Bass Loudspeaker, 80 Watt RMS, 32 Ohm
    Custom Made by Celestion for Trace Elliot. The other three are 75-LSP-C1008VT-NOS 10" Bass Loudspeaker 75 Watt RMS, 8 Ohm Custom Made by Celestion for Trace Elliot. Note that the newest speaker is 32 Ohm!!!!. The wiring is row-serial / column-parallel, that how is has to be with 4x8 Ohm. The impedance of the uper row 40 Ohm, de lower row is 16 Ohm. Total impedance is about 11 Ohm, (40x16 / 40+16) and that's more than the 8 Ohm the amp counts on. Since a ignorant former owner replaced the upper right speaker by a modern 32 Ohm version, total power was slightly less and the lower row was overdriven, causing the recent meltdown of the left-under speaker. The speaker next to the 32 Ohm speaker didn't move because of the high impedance of his direct neighbour. I'm gonna replace the three old speakers with the new 32 Ohm version and wire everything parallel. Gonna let you know (4 weeks shipping) how it sounds. Bit expensive, but I'm attached to the old combo. And now I found the cause of the problem, I don't think it will breakdown again.