Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Low End Preamp? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Feb 17, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    :hyper: Anyone out there (of course Chris or Brian will answer this thread) play the new Low End Preamp offered from lowend.net? The thing looks super cool and I bet it sounds sweet! Let me know what you guys think because I'm looking for a good uncolored tube pre to use in the studio to sweeten up my tone from my Countryman 85 DI. Thanks guys! :bassist:

2. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Where are my peeps on this new preamp? The thing looks super cool and I think would be spectacular for recording and live jazz and stuff. Let me know!

3. I'm using the true voice preamp since Namm with the AI slave amp (600 Watts @ 4 ohm) and enjoy the "plug and play" situation. I really am able to hear the different sounds of my basses.

4. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks Schroeder! I am a big "purist" and I would love to get my hands on one of those preamps. I live in Alabama and maybe one day I'll drive up to TN to try out the pre. Keep me updated on how you like it. Schroeder, didn't you used to have an ADA MB-1 for a reference rig? How did that work for you? I remember seeing it in a few pics of yours online. Thanks man!

5. I still have the ADA MBI with ADA power amp, not bad at all, but I prefer the True Voice a lot. Easy to use and sounds awesome. I don't use the ADA setup anymore, it's collecting dust. :D

cheers

Jorg

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Brian's going to be at the Nashville guitar show the first weekend of March. You should head up. I'm sure he'll have it with him, and I'm interested to see it there, myself.

7. It's well worth checking it out.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Yo Adron,

Where and exactly when is the Nashville G'tar show? I'm up there at least once a month, if not more.

Actually going to be there towards the end of this week.

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

The Nashville Guitar show is March 5th & 6th at the Smyrna I-24 Exit 66, 3 miles S.E. of the old Expo center.
    I'll be there, Bob from Bass Palace as well as Daryl Jones (LowDbass in IN).

Yes, I will have a couple of the True-Voice preamps and maybe even the first proto-type of the Rack unit. I've had such an awesome response on the pre and the demand has been so high for a single space I finally gave in.

Thanks

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Cool, thanks... Smyrna is on my way up to N'ville

So how in comparision is it to the Read pre? Are there any similarities? What and how many tubes are you using in it?

WOW! Daryl or Darryl Jones? :D

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

The Read I believe has more of an eq section, sorry haven't played one. I have heard positive things about it. The True-Voice uses a 6SN7 tube verse most using the 12AX7. 6SN has a lot more range, but the T-V is a point to point straight pre. I am planning to offer it in a Rack version and then a boost only three band later, all staying with the point to point. Its more like the Kern which is all off the showman amp.

Thanks
    Brian

PS, its Daryl Jones, Not Rolling Stones!

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Thanks Brian,

I presently use a Trace V-type, which I know isn't anything close to the construction quality of yours, but I have been told that there are some similarities to the showman preamp section as well. I really don't much about that, other than it sounds thick and tubey... how is the gain stage in comparison to the T-V?

I know, I was j/k :D

13. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    The lowend looks extremely cool. A well thoguht out product by a guy who understands bass. And the design, production and roll out of a new product is really tough--bravo!

Two things sort of make me hesitate--One, the tube sicking up like that--it looks fragile and like a pain to haul on gigs. A tube cage, maybe? Second, and I'm kind of sheepish about admitting this--as much as I like women's butts, I don't like the logo, and would be slightly embarrassed to have it on my amp

sorry, just me, no offense meant, no trolling implied, not seeking controversey, etc.

also, if i may ask--why base it on the fender preamp? In my experience, the mid-sucking fender design is really problematic. Ampeg IMHO, took a better course with bass in their tone stack designs. I wish someone would make a B15 style preamp, or example, instead of the kern/demeter/alembic showman copies

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    j-raj
    The Trace V-type is an awesome preamp and great bang for the buck. However the V-type like many do have a solid state board in them. Most preamps do, very few and I mean very few are Tube point-to-point. Mine is based off the tube warmth and not a solid state eq'd board.

PB+J

With the Kern and Alembic, etc. the design base is off the showman, but the freq eq has nothing in common with any of the design based preamps. The Idea of the showman design is what they are using where the treb-mid-bass works as a volume verse a cut and boost theory. The actually setting's are not compied for the most part.

15. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am loving the response to my preamp question! I also love the logo! Low End all the way! I"ll have to put together the mula and go and check out the pre! Thanks again guys!

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Brian,

Thanks for your response.

I've played with gear-head g%^tarist cats that use Carr/Bogner/Budda/BadCat...etc. Are all of their wiring jobs considered 'point to point'?

... when my lottery winnings come in (fantasy :D ), I know where they will be spent...

OH BTW, I like that logo (want a bass with that logo :smug: )... kinda reminds me of my girl, and that funny Twix commercial: "do these pants make my butt look fat?"

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

That can be arranged :D

[​IMG]

http://www.lowenddistribution.com/lowendbasses.htm

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Cool bass, but why are there testicles on the headstock?

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    why is your avatar pregnant....... :)

I can change it to a Butt if you like...... ;)

20. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I knew that was a "special edition" logo! :D