Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New LPB Precision!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mule, Nov 7, 2005.

1. After a long and really rather hopeless search for an affordable Lake Placid Blue Fender Precision bass I've finally decided to buy a copy instead and make the best P-bass within its possibilities out of it. I've chosen Richwood, a brand that could be compared to SX (or Essex) when it comes to 'hype' and value for money according to (mostly European) satisfied owners. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this Chinese instrument right out of the box. With a good setup, some visual and some more 'structural' changes it has become quite an eyecatcher and - more importantly - one great sounding and playing Precision for just a fraction of the price of an original. There's Rocco, there's George Porter Jr. and Duck Dunn, and sometimes there's even some James Jamerson to be found in this bass!

- Richwood '57 reissue P-bass in Lake Placid Blue
    - pickup cover and bridge cover
    - thumbrest (not historically correct, I know, but that's how I use it)
    - Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickup (bought secondhand)
    - N.O.S. 60's Labella flatwounds (once in a lifetime opportunity, fabulous sound)
    - D.I.Y. foam stringmute

Total cost: €299,-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's been great fun to put the pieces together and create my own dream P-bass, highly recommended! :hyper:

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Nice bass in one of my favorite finishes....

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very nice. Gotta love those classy pickup covers. :)

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yes, indeed but I can never play P-Bass with the pickup cover on.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've contemplated whether or not to put on on my P-bass. I play with a pickup cover on my J just fine, but the sweet spot for my right hand on the P is right over or just in front of the pickup, and I don't want to mess with that.

It just looks so durn cool, though...

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    +1

8. It's somewhat of a dilemma indeed, because I agree that the sweetspot is right above or at least as close to the pickup as possible. But a cover can be taken off, and with the thumbrest in that location I'm comfortably playing right in front of the pickup cover. It really looks cool and classy, no doubt about that...