Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Lucid Dreamer mp3s

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 22, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    although I'm not really a fan of "message-music" (in any context, be it religious or political) and therefore didn't like the lyrics very much, the music is quite good.

the backing vocals (or vocal arrangements) aren't perfect and the songs tend to be a bit repetitive, but the overall production is great. every instrument/peformer is easily locatable while the overall-sound is very "even".

your slap-sound could be better, but i guess it was very difficult to mix so you might have already gotten the maximum, balancing "solo"-sound and band.

nice hooks, too, and the right touch of (groovy!) simplicity without getting boring.

well done!

3. embellisher

Thanks for the feedback!:)

We just added the female vocalist, and this was her first time in the studio. We also didn't get to work on the backing vox as much as I would have liked before the studio date.

As far as the slap sound on I'm so happy, it sounded great through the studio monitors, but is pretty buried through lesser stereo systems. I am a bit unhappy about that.

We may remix the three songs in a few months, after we get the next three done.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm having problems downloading them. I could only download a song with you slapping, your slapping sounded pretty cool.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    goose passing by in peace......DON'T SHOOT JEFF!!.....

bump - i'll listen to them when i get home....goose leaving in peace.....

6. embellisher

What kind of problems? I just started using this hosting service, so if it is a server problem, I need to know.

7. embellisher

click, click

:D

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

:bag:

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i liked it all save the vocals... i like my religion a bit more sugar coated i guess. like eli or audio adreniline or big tent revival.

use the girl singer more... she has that sixpense none the richer thingk happenin.

bass tone is excellent and the playing is good!

10. Like I said in the thread about your website, I dig em! Soundin good! I'm So Happy is my fav so far.

11. embellisher

Cool. Did you listen to Worship You?

Oh, believe me, we are. We have two older songs to finish up, but after that, the newer stuff will probably feature her a lot more.

Thanks!:) I wish the bass was more audible on I'm So Happy and Worship You. I love the tone I got on Get thee behind me Satan. That is my Fender Jazz Geddy Lee. I need a five that sounds like that!

12. embellisher

Thanks, Tyler.:)

Did you hear any of the older songs that were on mp3.com before it got shut down? I hope to have those up on the site by next weekend. Still tweaking my machine after the second reload in 3 days.

13. Nope, didn't get a chance to hear those. Let me know when their up on the site, I'll check em.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Jeff,

I liked all three songs, but for different reasons.

I liked your work best on Get Thee Behind Me satan. I also liked those lyrics best. Parts of this song kinda bring to mind a Phil Collins song I used to listen to a lot.

I thought Worship You was the most "complete package" of the three, though the mixing could use some help. About 3:00 into it I could faintly hear you doing some pretty nice noodling, but it almost gets lost. Overall the song has a Prince "Sign O' The Times" album feel. Not the title song, but some of the other songs that that have a funky rock feel.

I'm So Happy leaves me with a lot of mixed feelings. I really like the female singer's voice. I can say that about all three, actually. I like the rhythm of I'm So Happy. I don't like the lyrics on this one. Almost seems liked they're force fit over the rhythm and the male singer doesn't handle the inflections well at all. The most troubling part of this song for me is that the lead-in drum piece almost sounds like someone is trying to dial a drum machine to the right pitch. The timing is just a little quirky. All the drum work throughout the song after that is pretty tight.

All in all, a darn good showing.

Peace,

James

15. embellisher

Thanks for listening to the songs, James, and thanks for the comments!

I was real proud of the parts I came up with for Worship You, but they got buried under the massive amounts of guitar tracks on that one. Two acoustics throughout, two electrics on the heavier parts, and of course the lead part on two tracks.

Oh well. It's all about the song, right?:D

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Worship

that is the one that moves me.
    The others are ... plain ...

that song moved the silent flame.

You know I keep faith really private, but
    that song would be an experience to play.

May the sun shine on your face ...
    and live in peace...

t

17. embellisher

Thor, thanks for the kind words.:)

The song does the same thing to me, when we play it live. I need to get a good live version recorded to post one of these days.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Worship You" is the best song your band has ever done by a very wide margin (I've heard all the songs you used to have on MP3.com). Was it written by a different person than your other material?

The female vocalist should be the lead vocalist on every song hands down. If this means completely reworking songs, rework them. The vocals sound much better when she's singing lead than harmonizing. She does not have a good "blending voice", her voice is definitely a "standing out" type of voice. Meanwhile, your male singer has a good "blending" voice that sounds much better in harmonies than on lead.

She needs to work on pitch a bit, especially at the top of her register. She also needs to sing with more confidence, but as this was her first time in the studio, the confidence will be forthcoming. I can tell when listening she's got a lot of raw talent, and with some more experince (and perhaps lessons?) she will be excellent I believe.

I like the bass playing.

I agree with previous comments about the drumming at the beginning of "I'm So Happy". I'd eliminate the whole intro if I were you. You had a song on MP3.com that had a similar disjointed feel on the drum intro.

19. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Overall good job :) Not my favorite style of music except for Worship You; that one is really very nice. The other two sounded kinda forced and repetitive to me. But, nice bass work on all three, at least what my junky computer speakers would let me hear.

[shameless self-promotion]
    BTW if you are ever looking for new material to evaluate, some stuff I have written is here.
    [/shameless self-promotion]

:D

20. embellisher

Phil, Timmy, thanks for the feedback!

Timmy, I will see if I can give your music a listen in a day or two.:)