new Lull PJ4 in the!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Jun 19, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    just picked up a brand new Lull PJ4 from Blueberry Hill. Jay was very cool to deal with every step of the way

my first impressions of this bass are: wow! when I saw the specs on the Blueberry Hill website, this bass really jumped out at me because it features just about every spec I would ask for if I had a bass custom made (for instance, a '59 P Bass neck but with 12 inch radius, Fralin pickups, passive electronics, ultra-light tuners, exceptional shielding). It sounded fantastic right out of the box, but now that I have a set of TI Jazz Flat strings on there this bass is really sounding like a tone machine

another first impression is that this bass is perfectly balanced. That (in my experience) has been rare in a Fender style bass, even the Sadowsky I previouly owned had a neck dive. The smaller headstock and Ultra-light tuners on the Lull contribute to that I imagine

this is the first time in a long long time that I have owned a bass that was brand new, and I mean brand new in that besides the people at Lull playing it and Jay at Blueberry Hill playing it a little, no-one has touched this thing, theres not a scratch on it and I can only imagine how good its gonna sound once its broken in a little. (Most basses you buy brand new from a store have of course been playe din the store alot)

the fretwork and craftsmanship are top-notch. Just as good as the Sadowsky and Fodera and Elrick basses I previously owned. The tone is the best I have heard, with the caveat that I am partial to passive basses and P basses. To be fair, I would say that the tone quality is equal to the Sadowsky, just very different: Sadowsky has that incredible active modern Jazz sound, this Lull has an incredible passive P bass sound. Its better, for me, because its what I prefer

now, I truely believe that one can't really know how good a bass sounds until you can hear it in the mix playing with a we'll see just how good this thing sounds playing with the various bands I play with in the enxt week or so

so far, just going on first impressions, this bass is amazing

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads on the new bass, i hope it delivers the goods for you. :bassist:
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    looks very sweet, I love the P/J pickup combination
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

;) Looks really nice, congrats!!!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thats an amazing looking bass, no doubt, especially with the Brazillian Rosewood neck and a Sadowsky set-up, betcha it plays like buttah...the thing is though, its an active bass, and I prefer Passive basses. In my experience the Passive sound of a Sadowsky wasn't close to the sound quality of a great Fender or of the Lull I picked up. an incredible active sound but not a great passive sound. Although I will admit though that I have played several Sadowsky J's but never played a Sadowsky P

as it is I likely won't be buying another bass for awhile, unless somehow my income increases greatly
  7. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Congrats on the killer bass! I wish I could afford a Sadowsky or Lull jazz bass. I'm sure you'll havelots of fun with a bass that purdy. :bassist: :D

8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Wow that is an awesome bass AJ!!!

Actually Im having Nino here build something kind of similair. I cant wait to get it!
  9. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Congrats on the new killer lookin' Lull! Welcome to the club! :bassist:
  10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the Lull has been kicking serious ass in the mix at rehearsals in the last day or two. that is one great bass

I actually was thinking about sending it back, until I got it dialed in and set-up just right for me, and now I realize its the best bass I've ever played, and thats saying something considering all the basses I've owned and sold over the years (Sadowsky, Fodera, Elrick, Fender Custom Shop, Vintage Fender, etc ect etc)

I do recognize that when I say its the best I mean that its the best FOR ME
  11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Sweet bass. I going to get a P5 one of these days.

I can't believe there aren't more of these around?