1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Lull: Selecting wood and finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joenok, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Hey!
    I´m ordering a Mike Lull M5V or V5 tomorrow, and I can´t decide on finishes.
    I´ve got a m4v in swamp ash, mapletop and maple fingerboard, with 3-band barts. So I´m looking for something a bit different, but still growly.

I´ve decided on Rosewood fingerboard, but should that go with Alder or Swamp Ash body?

I had a vision of an all black (inc. headstock) M5V with alle hardware in gold, but I think this will be hard to keep clean and neat, since all fingernail scratches will show real good...
    Been thinking about natural -but should i get chrome, black or gold hardware? Y-style or cloverleaf tuners?

In case i choose a V5, should i get it with Fralins or Basslines?
    How about Dakota Red? any other suggestions?
    Feel free to contribute!

Joe :bassist:

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Bakota red is the bomb biggety! Now for my real suggestion: Wait until you know what you want, that's a pretty diverse list of options you've got yourself there...

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Does Lull use Warmoth parts?

Sorry, just kidding. You had to be here over the last few days to appreciate it. :rollno:

Although I've never had the opportunity to play one, the general consensus is that Lulls are killer basses! What kind of music are you playing and what kind of tone are you looking for? The 60's J-Bass formula is generally alder body with rosewood fingerboard, and the 70's J-Bass is generally and ash body with a maple neck (also, the bridge pup is positioned closer to the bridge). One of the basses in my stable is a Lakland Skyline JO. It has the passive Lindy Fralin J pups. IMHO, they nail the 60's sound. YMMV. I'm sure others wll chime in here. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Lull! Please let us know what choices you make and don't forget to post pics when you get it!

Rock on!

:bassist:

4. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks for replies!
    I´ve got most of the tech parts decided (for now Alder/rosewood)
    It´s mostly on the cosmetic choices i´ve got issues.

How about a Natural M5V with black mechanics (including y-style tuners)?
    I´ve never seen that before, most naturals are maple&chrome.
    hmmmm.....

Soundwise, i´m looking for a bass that´s different from my beloved m4v. It´s very tight, punchy and bright, and that´s good -but it lacks warmth. This is why i´m thinking rosewood for the fingerboard, and probably alder for the body. Bartolini pickups and NTMB preamp is decided, since these are KILLER for this style bass (and for my preferances in tone)

Any thoughts on the V5? Fralin or Basslines?

5. I've got an MV5, alder/rosewood, candy apple red, bart preamp with passive tone control, basslines pickups. I love it! I highly recommend the passive tone control, I use my bass in passive mode a lot, it's a great option to have. I believe Mike Lull still suggests the basslines on 5-strings, and fralin's for 4-strings. I haven't tried the fralins on a 5, but the basslines are really nice sounding, very cool old school tone.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've got a set of Duncan Basslines single coils in my M5V and IMO they're great. I haven't tried the Fralins, but I'm sure they're fantastic also.

Have you given any thought to a set of Nordstrands?

If you haven't decided on a color yet:

Trans Red
    Aztec Gold
    Candy Apple Red

A Lull PJ-5 with a quilted maple top in Trans Red with a matching headstock will be my next bass purchase.:bassist:

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'm planning on a PJ-5 Active, alder/rosewood, black with a chrome pickguard as my next one...

;)

8. I'm planning on stalking both of you. ;)

As for the original poster, simply on visual looks I'd go with nature and chrome or black - chrome if you want that "classic" look, black is you'd like to stand out a bit.

Gold is just tacky. It's like wearing a tuxedo shirt to a wedding gig.

9. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks guys...
    I´ve been looking at some red finish Lulls... And they are kinda cool.

But I´m thinking about keeping the finish simple and clean. The natural stands out at this point.

These two are great though....:

Attached Files:

10. If the fiancée called and told me we won $20,000 in the lottery, quite literally the first thing I'd do is pick up the phone and place a down payment on this baby within 15 seconds... and have Mike toss on a white pearloid pickguard and Hipshot for my "Red Geddy":

[​IMG]

We both have different viewpoints on the ideas of "vacations": mine is to sit around on a beach and relax surrounded by drinks with umbrellas in them, while hers is to explore native cultures and the history of whatever area we're in. Obviously that's a pretty large gap, so we've already made an agreement that when she's finished her doctorate and vacations will be much more plentiful, I'll come along for a week and we'll relax... and then her Mother (who is much more on her wavelength) will come out and do the "discovery" part with her. In place, I get to spend that amount on new gear.

It's a good system. :D

11. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Haha Ian, that´s a GREAT system.

What do you think the sunburst i posted in my last post would look like with black hardware and matching (sunburst) headstock?

it´s that one or natural.

12. On "traditional" Jazzes with pickguards and 'bursts I'm becoming more and more about chrome hardware, as it just looks classy and simple - if you toss on a black bridge and tuning keys, the control plate has to be as well, and it just becomes... "less traditional". Now if we're talking a solid color, a dye/transparent color, and/or a rear-routed configuration w/o a 'guard, black can work really well.

We all know my feelings on matching headstocks - I think babies heads should be painted the same as whatever clothing they're wearing. :D Seriously, I think they work well on most headstocks and "tie" the body and head visually, but just by the numbers it seems that Mike prefers them on solid finishes and rosewood/ebony fretboards - I haven't seen many maple-board matching headstocks, so you might want to speak to him about the availability (or go through someone like Jay @ Blueberry Hill basses - he's a great guy, and has gotten me lots of info when I've told him up-front there's no chance of a sale right now).

As for naturals, I'm a really big fan and it's hard to screw them up, and a Swamp Ash body with a darker fretboard "breaking up" the distance between the body and headstock is a great look visually. In terms of the model itself, it all depends on what you're looking for - if you simply want a 5-string version of your M4V I'd go for a natural swamp ash/rosewood - that would still give you the "growl" you seek but back it off a touch with the fretboard change. On the other hand, if you feel like a 180 a V5 would certainly bring you a sound closer to "vintage". I truly doubt you'll go wrong, and maybe even work out a "trial period" to see if the M5V or V5 speaks to you more.

On the two pictured, my final vote is for the '59 burst with chrome hardware... with perhaps a white pearloid pickguar down the line. It's says "Hey, I'm the real deal" but doesn't shout it, and the birdeye on the fingerboard is a thing of beauty (Mike's very good at that).

Wow, people are coming to me asking for Lull advice. I suppose it's time I actually got one as opposed to obsessing about them. Are you listening, Mike? I could be your own personal bovinehost spreading the gospel, and it wouldn't even take free basses to do so... artist's price would work fine. :D Beller'll vouch for me!! :help:

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Then I'm happy to post this photo of my Lull again!! :D ;)
    [​IMG]

IMO it's tone kills in a live setting, it's single coil Duncans have a ton of presence. And it's also sounded great on the recordings I've used it on. On a local guy's demo I used it in passive mode and let him tweak the tone to his taste with his board's eq. I used it in active mode with a bit of bass and mid boost straight into the board on my band's demo. :cool:

I have a few prettier basses, but this one really does it for me. Sure, it's a bit of a Plain Jane to look at, but IMHO it sure sounds good. :bassist:

14. Arthur, wonderful account of a Lull in multiple recording sessions with different EQ settings. It's also great to hear a first-hand account of ML's custom-wound Duncans. My experience with them in an M5 was wonderful, but I hadn't heard much about them in the more vintage-minded models.

Sometimes the "Plain Janes" are the wildest ones in the sack. :smug: (Mods, delete if it's over the line - I figure it's late enough and not crossing the line)

[​IMG]

Okay, now you're just boasting. :rollno: A Lull through your Berg setup? Need someone to be in your will?

...and I actually prefer Lull headstocks to Sadowsky on the fivers. So there. :p

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Sorry about that, Ian. I never meant to come across as a braggart :oops:. How about I will you my Read Purity preamp (not pictured)? ;)

Seriously, my gear far surpasses my ability as a player. The Dude hosted my rig photo for me, and I'm just enjoying showing my setup to anyone interested. :)

As far as the rest of my basses are concerned, I may sell a few of my four bangers to get my Lull PJ-5. I find it hard to gig without a B-string these days, and the only 4-string I use regularly is my P-Bass. I'm also looking to buy a different combo amp in the future, -but that's another forum.

But I have to be careful not to let my kids see any of them leaving the house in packing boxes. They've already laid claim on them :D . I'm guessing it will be an ugly day when my time comes and my will is read :eek: !

I can respect the fact that you're jonesing for a Lull, and I hope that you get one really soon.:)

Best regards,
    - Art