Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 22, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My old G3 has got some real hardware issues, and an unsolicited freelance print collateral project came my way, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a new machine. The project will pretty much pay for it, and they're billing the curent machines as the 'last of the dual boots' - something I must have for now - so here we go...

I have to admit, I'm pretty excited - dual 1.25 gigHz processors, 750 Megs o' RAM - I expect to get a head rush just booting this thing up!

:D

2. Heh, why do you need two processors? I'd just get one that's twice as fast :p

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, umm, to borrow a Spinal Tap reference... 'cause this one goes to eleven! :p

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Mac comps are pretty cool lookin, and functional for design, both visual and audio. Most likely the next computer or just down the road I will get a Mac or something. Neat little things. I just bought a 30gb iPod and this thing rocks (*currently listening to it as I write this post).

Yet my current comp I use for internet and downloading crap is an old 500mhz NEC computer; decent for what it does. My new comp is an HP with 2.5 ghz and 512 ram, neat and its got a fast dvd burner.

Good luck with your Mac.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm envious. :p

I'll bet that is a sweet machine.

The nice thing about dual processors, is that OS X is fully DP aware, so that all the OS tasks can be left to one processor, while other programs and stuff can use the other processor.

6. Oh my...... :eek: *censored* :D

Kinda makes this bottom-of-the-range G4 iMac I'm on look like a pocket calculator. Even though this runs rings round every PC I've ever used.

I can honestly say that I love Apple.

:bassist:

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm using a 1Ghz 15" powerbook that i got in january. I'd have to say that IMO the powerbooks are the best laptops out there right now. I've managed to convert a few of my friends to mac fans by showing them my computer. One dude bought a 17" PB. Holy crap what a machine! A little too big to be truly portable, but holy crap!

Before my powerbook i had one of the original beige G3 desktops. That was a sweet computer, but it's time had come.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i love macs, they are the true machines. But hey, I went back to PC roots, and I found an IBM Personal Computer XT. It has a 8086 processor, and DOS 1.0. I mean, you don't REALLY need more than 640K of ram anyways, right?

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    mmm...sweet system dude. i used to be a mac hater, until i started working at a place where i HAD to know how to use them, and got exposed to -=OSX=- (lines for majesty) now i wish i had one :)

my next computer related purchase will be a 12" iBook. sweet sweet smallness. intels centrino chipset is getting close to apple-portable-sweetness level though.

10. must..kill...urge...for...platform war...

uh, I guess some folks like them Macs.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's a guy I work with who's been working at my University for quite a while, but we got to talking one day and he said he used to program the 8086 himself back in the day. That must've been a PITA.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've always been curious about getting another mac. The first computermy family had was an old LCIII. Yeah, old school on 'yall. It still works without a hitch, and has many, many hours on it.

One of the only reasons I don't get a mac as my next computer is compatibility issues. I do a large amount of writing (my tade), and I'd rather have it PC compatible. I know there's Microsoft X...am I correct in thinking that if I put an MSX document/file on a disk, it'll open on a PC? Or is it just that there isn't a conversion nessicary if I sent the file to myself via e-mail?

I could really dig on the super stable OS. My next computer (in a few months) has only two major questions: Laptop or desktop, and PC vs. Mac. All I do is write, surf the net, and listen to music, so a Mac is actually in the running!

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    osx was designed to work with windows files like it was windows. opening up a doc in word X would be the same as opening it under office xp.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So.. if I wrote something on the mac, saved it to a floppy, and put the floppy in a PC, it would read, without asking me to reformat?

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brendan, I don't see why there'd be any significant compatibility issues if you're churning out text - as Jason points out - and even working in OS 9 as I currently do, I swap MS Word files with PC users all the time, without even a blink (just use PC formatted disk media). Plus - the publishing industry is still hugely Mac-oriented. If anything, I could see an argument for going mac *because* you're a writer in some capacity. Of course, only you know and can judge your own needs, but it's a thought... :)

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brendan - Macs have no trouble reading PC format floppies, Zips, etc. You can even format a disk in PC format on a mac. I just keep a box of PC format floppies handy. PC's can't read Mac formatted disks, but that's not really an issue as long as you send out PC compatible media. I edit work produced by the sales and admin staff at my company and I'm the only Mac in house - no compatibility problems here!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Great. Just great. My head is bleeding. I need to lay down. Nothing worse than a viable option to mess with my choices.

College kid, I'm not sure how much I'll have to spend. I'd reckon $1300 and under.
    But, really, isn't that the eternal question?
    "What computer do I get?"

Laptop, Desktop, Mac, PC...oh yeah, my head is bleeding alright.

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]

$1,299.00

900MHz PowerPC G3
    512K L2 cache @900MHz
    128MB SDRAM memory
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
    32MB DDR video memory
    Combo Drive
    Built-in 56K v.92 modem
    AirPort ready
    Up to 5 hr. battery life

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't think I didn't see that! :D I've been all over the net the past few weeks looking at everything, and most of this morning at Macs. But, maybe I'm missing something, but...I don't see a printer port? Or do I have to hook it up wireless style?

20. Under a UNIX-derived OS (which Mac OS-X is), there are advantages to multiple processors that a single "twice as fast" processor can't match. Plus, Apple doesn't offer G4 processors any faster than that so...