Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New MAG 300H or Used Peavey Firebass 700?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nspbass, Mar 10, 2005.

1. nspbass

nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    I'll be getting a new Ashdown MAG 300H in a couple of days, which I paid just under $300 for.

However, a friend of mine who owns a music store has a used Firebass 700 for sale for $300. It seems to be in pretty good shape.

So, here's the question:

Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

nspbass

2. I love my Ashdown MAG210T-300. I'm not familiar with the Peavey.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Based on how bad my experiences were with Ashdown and how good they were with Peavey, I have no other choice than strongly recommending the Firebass.

ANDRUCA

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Go with the Peavey, weighs 50 pounds but will put out 700 watts into 2 ohms.

5. :cool: Don't know about the Ashdown, although I have been reading up on them. I used to have a Firebass II. It's an amp with a lot of balls. The biggest problem I had with it was its weight. It is heavy. It's also not rack mountable. But, reliable it is. Powerful it is. If the Peavey is in good shape, it's probably a better buy based on its power alone.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with the Peavey. You never know if you'll need that extra bit of power in the future. An amp that goes down to 2ohms can really be a luxury :)

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The Peavey will do what you want and sound good with either active or a passive bass.

IMHO

tk