Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Marcus Millar Fan

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave44, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Just bought an old CD by Grover Washington Jr. called Winelight, because I love his horn. Who the hell is playin' that Bitchin' bass, it's Marcus. WOW a new fan I am. I've just kind of arrived on the bass scene as I took a leave of absence to grow a family, I'm back and Holy S%$t have I missed a lot. All I can say is I need another fix as soon as I can, any suggestions as to what CD should I next buy of his?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd go for his Tales album.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You may also want to get a copy of his DVD. Can't remember the name since I'm not at home at the moment, but it's snips from a pive concert in Germany.

Other CD's I'd recommend

The Sun Don't Lie
    Power
    David Sanborn's Greatest Hits

Peace,

James

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    his M2 album's been spinning on my cd player lately :)

5. Get "The Ozzell Tapes: the Official bootleg" off the internet, Its Miller live, great cd,

Other I suggest are:
    Dave Sanborns greatest hits
    M2
    The sun dont Lie
    I believe he is on a few Miles Davis CD's too, I forgot the names of them tho.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In my 1st post I suggested "Power". Power is one track on the M2 CD. Guess you can tell which track I listen too. ;)

Peace,

James

7. Check out David Sanborn's Straight to the Heart - one of my favorite Marcus Miller recordings.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Who's marcus millar?

Marcus Miller's albums with Miles include:
    Tutu
    Star people
    Man with the horn
    We want miles
    Siesta
    Amandla

I'm sure JimK will come by with marcus's complete discography, though.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    also check out three dueces and run for cover.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Run for cover is my all time fave "Slap" song...

11. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm a big fan of Brazilian Rhyme and of Power. I've been meaning to buy M2, but I haven't gotten around to it.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned "Live and More" yet!! Excellent live album.

brad cook

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No way!
    I will only add I also like Winelight(even though it may have spawned the "Smooth Jazz" movement...along with Benson's Breezin').
    In any event, Winelight has some nice funky vamps worth adding to one's vocabulary. ;)

I also like the 'raw' chromatic funk of Star People & We Want Miles...& the Breckers' Straphanging.

Sanborn's "Run For Cover" is cool...as is As We Speak(good for those Sunday morning brunches). ;)

MM also makes his stuff work in the Pop world-
    ...check out Luther Vandross' "Never Too Much" & Mariah Carey's "Vision Of Love".

Miller coulda been Jaco's replacement in Weather Report if not for the Miles' gig...

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I just recently bought Tutu.

On fretless, could Miller sound *any* more like Jaco? :D

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bakithi Kumalo comes very close...

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

17. Is it just me, or is Marcus Miller's tone so bright, and he plucks the strings so forcefully, that it always sounds like he's slaping?

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's because he IS always slapping! :D

No really though that's his thing...he slaps a lot. Although you can hear him plucking normally on many a song...mostly the ones with fretless. On his studio albums though a lot of times he'll be normally plucking a background line while he does the slap/pluck solos and melody lines.

brad cook

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Ozell Tapes are downright scary unleashed Marcus:bassist:

20. He does slap a lot, but I read an interview when he said that some of the time when it sounds like he's slapping, he's really just hard plucking.