Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Marcus Miller Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 31, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was browsing through the Musician's fiend website the other day, and saw that you can buy the Marcus Miller preamp by itself, for something like $40.

Does anyone have one of these? It seems to me that the first thing MM owners do is swap out the preamp. Still, I've been thinking of dropping a two band into my fretless but didn't want to spend a wad-o-cash. In comparision, the Aguilar is about $50 more, but do you think it's worth it?

2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Is this the pre amp out of a MM fender? Or am I missing something?

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I haven't found anything to state otherwise, but, yes, I do believe it's just the preamp that comes in a stock MM Jazz bass.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    That might be worth putting in my Essex or OLP

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Seems like a pretty good deal if all the parts are included, pots, switch.

If it's just the preamp byitself, I would pass. IMO, it sounds "just OK" & wouldn't be worth it if you needed more parts.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I just sent an email to MF asking them that very question. I poked around, and couldn't find any other place that was selling them. :confused:

7. rednoise

rednoise

Aug 22, 2003
    Boston
    I know this thread is several months old, but I wonder if anyone has more information on this. I'm looking on the MF site, and I can't find the Marcus Miller preamp listed there. I have a MM Jazz bass, and I may need to replace the preamp. It would be great if it really costs only $40.

8. bump
    I think I may have to replace to preamp on my MIM deluxe jazz. Is this a good preamp? Or would there be a better low cost altenative?