1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Markbass 104hf

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, i recently decided to sell my ht322. it sounded absolutely incredible, but it was too heavy to haul around in a hatchback. so i decided to give markbass a try. the basscentre just happened to have a used one on consignment. i played a bongo HS 5 through a GK400rbIV into this cab. i use a stealth bongo HH 5 through a 1001RB-II.

tonewise, it is more towards the GK spectrum than the berg spectrum. a throaty midrange, punchy and focused low end, slightly harsh highs. but thats in comparison with the berg, which is the best sounding cabinet IMO. it sounded great at church, cutting through a keyboard, drums and a congregation quite well. i can't compare this with the berg, since i never ONCE took the berg out of the practice room.

weightwise, this is where the markbass shines. its pretty damn light. at a weight of about 29Kg (around 64 lbs for you yanks;) ) it is proving a delight to carry around to church and to practices. not sure how much lighter the epi 410ul is, but i didn't have the extra $1100AUD a new one would have cost(the epi retails for $2700).

the only thing is that is is slightly different to the newer markbass 104hf's. the logo is in the middle, and there are no yellow/orange highlites. so i have no idea how different it is to the newer cabinets.

some pics...

2. so how much did it end up costing?

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i paid $1600 for it.

4. They're sweet cabs. So light and powerful. They really are amazing. Markbass have hit the jackpot with these babies.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, they are pretty darn good. i find it funny that the bass centre has had them in stock for a while, yet i never actually tried out any of their stuff until i bought this cab. for once us aussies had something the yanks didn't have and i didn't take advatage of it.

doesn't matter now though:D

6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I tried out a newer one last weekend, and it didn't fart out at all! with full band and all! My local store has one of the old ones like yours there, and its just as expensive as a brand new one? its all rough and beat up looking, but probly sounds just as good. on any account, you have found a great 410 there! I can schlep one of these up a flight of stairs for gods sake! try that with a 90 pound 410 ! MARKBASS RULES!

7. KLAKA777

KLAKA777

Jan 30, 2017
    Hey sorry to bring up an old post, but I have a markbass 104hf 4 ohm with a TA501 and thinking bout changing to the 1001rbII to run it. Was wondering if you could tell me how you went with yours? Did the cab handle it ok and how does it sound?
    I just want to find out if the change will be worth my while.

Cheers mate

8. QuickGloves175

QuickGloves175

Mar 6, 2014
    Midwest
    Congrats! I have a standard 104hf @8 ohms, I play an old GK Backline 600 thru it. Sounds awesome. Still wanna get either a 1x15 or maybe a 2x12 cab to use standalone for practices and add a little more rounded out low end support for larger and/or outdoor gigs (250+ on the outdoor gigs, downtown areas, festivals with multiple bands and stages, etc.) But so far I love the 104. Sounds great, even with flat EQ and can keep up with guitars and drums at high volumes, clean and throaty. One of the most articulate cabs I've ever heard especially for the weight. I played one at my local GC and had to have it lol immediately put it on layaway and picked it up after I got paid again. Got a decent deal since I traded my Ampeg BA115T and got a 15% credit that they allowed me to use toward my layaway down payment plus some cash for the combo.

I play an original Jackson Japan Custom Shop Kelly 4-string from the 90's with P/J active EMG's, an old Dean Zone 4-string (it's old and cheap but I always liked the way the hum bucker sounded and the way it played), and a new Dean 4-string with a P pickup. I like that with flat EQ and a clean voicing on the amp, you can hear the nuances of each instrument and the Dean with the hum bucker is thick and rich but still clear and punchy, not too soft/pillowy even when playing chords or hammerons. And with some light EQ'ing I can get great slap sounds from any of them. The tweeter/horn attenuator on the side is a nice addition to help shape tone post amp EQ. I usually run it around 2 for a nice sound when playing with fingers and some slap/pop. But overall the cab is a beast! Especially at 800w power handling

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021